cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2008, 04:43 PM   #21
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Thanks for reminding of Fowler, who is usually criticized from the right not the left.

If it's a natural phase transition, then is there anything the Church should do to discourage and to move a person onto stage 4, or is it best for that person to move naturally?

I have read a bit of Fowler but not all his research. Read it since you introduced it.
This is an interesting question, and one that hits at the practical implications of Fowler's work. After all, Fowler wants his research to help clergy understand their parishoners.

This is mostly off topic, but I suspect that someone who reads FARMS is in transition from stage three to stage four (a transition that many people never complete). Think about it. The need for something like FARMS research is evidence that the stage three ideological bubble has been pricked. To wit, a stage three person shouldn't need "scientific" verification of facts and ideology. For someone solidly in stage three, these things go unexamined because a Church leader has pronounced them as so.

If I were going to try to nudge someone into a transition, giving them FARMS material could be a starting place.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 02-25-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote