cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2008, 07:59 PM   #21
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Utah members have the same issues that members everywhere else have, except that the sheer numbers of members there make you more keenly aware of their quirks and shortcomings.

I've lived in enough Utah wards and very active non-Utah wards that I don't think there really is any appreciable difference. The biggest difference is that outside of Utah, you generally don't rub elbows with your ward members or other LDS members all that much during the week and in Utah you're around them all the time, so those idiosyncracies are just more noticeable.
I agree with this.

Still, perception is reality, and it's a hell of a lot of fun to irritate those sensitive to the "Utah Mormon" comments.
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:48 AM   #22
malapert

malapert is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Regardless, whoever shared this with malapert did both of them a disservice.
If the entire text of the blessing was published, I would grant you your point. But, since the recipient is anonymous and the excerpt is just a snippet of the whole, and it truly is representative of a strongly held perception....it is clearly worthy of review and discussion.

Now, since Tex is on such an elevated spiritual plane, he is excused from any further participation in this particular thread. Moreover, his tunnel vision will be noted and revisited when appropriate to demonstrate irony and hypocrisy when his future positions show an inconsistency with the high moral ground assumed here.

"He has all the virtues I dislike--and none of the vices I admire." -Winston Churchill

"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends." -Oscar Wilde

"In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily." -Charles, Count Talleyrand
malapert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:54 AM   #23
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by malapert View Post
If the entire text of the blessing was published, I would grant you your point. But, since the recipient is anonymous and the excerpt is just a snippet of the whole, and it truly is representative of a strongly held perception....it is clearly worthy of review and discussion.

Now, since Tex is on such an elevated spiritual plane, he is excused from any further participation in this particular thread. Moreover, his tunnel vision will be noted and revisited when appropriate to demonstrate irony and hypocrisy when his future positions show an inconsistency with the high moral ground assumed here.
Lighten up, Francis.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:57 AM   #24
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I think he meant California.
I think he meant Memphis.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:12 AM   #25
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Lighten up, Francis.
You need to go back to the avatar that featured a guy's head up his rear end. It was a great branding concept and with your recent behavior, randomly changing avatars, I'm afraid you're losing your way.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:25 AM   #26
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I think he meant Memphis.
Everything is relative. I am west of Nashville.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:36 AM   #27
Hazzard

Hazzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Mullah myboynoah speaks.

Assuming it is legit, it has no place here. Such a blessing is for the individual, not the masses. We have no idea of the context and it has obviously been doctored.
I hesitate to disagree with a former member of the BeeGees, but aren't patriarchal blessings made "public" (or at least made available to family members) anyway upon the death of the recipient? Although that might not make blessings available for the masses, it surely doesn't limit them to availability for the individual.

In related news, now seems like a good time to let everyone know that my patriarchal blessing warns me against the "danger" of "the Internets" and "wolves in sheeps clothing" thereon.
Hazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:45 AM   #28
malapert

malapert is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
In related news, now seems like a good time to let everyone know that my patriarchal blessing warns me against the "danger" of "the Internets" and "wolves in sheeps clothing" thereon.
Unquestionably a reference to this board.

"He has all the virtues I dislike--and none of the vices I admire." -Winston Churchill

"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends." -Oscar Wilde

"In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily." -Charles, Count Talleyrand
malapert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:40 PM   #29
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
You need to go back to the avatar that featured a guy's head up his rear end. It was a great branding concept and with your recent behavior, randomly changing avatars, I'm afraid you're losing your way.
<=== See avatar
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:46 PM   #30
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Boy, I am glad I am not a patriarch. I can imagine that every once in a while, I would think to myself, "well, I sure wasn't on my game today. Yikes."

I do have a lot of respect for the office of patriarch. That's why I never want to occupy it.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote