cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2007, 04:05 AM   #21
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

On this site we have discussed ad nauseum the insights stemming from the McKay biography concerning the racist views of 20th century church apostles and prophets and how most of them were unwilling to even consider the idea of petitioning the Lord to extend His priesthood rights.

Along those lines, it seems as though the vast majority of today's church leaders carry an antequated view of the pre-feminist movement woman and the pre-workingplace woman, as though women are a bunch of mindless lemmings who want nothing more than to raise 10 kids and meekly serve and obey their husbands.

I guess you could say my top five would be:
1) An apostle who has lived (or tried to live) with a 21st century woman
2) A second apostle who has lived (or tried to live) with a 21st century woman
3) A third apostle who has lived (or tried to live) with a 21st century woman
4) A fourth apostle who has lived (or tried to live) with a 21st century woman
5) A fifth apostle who has lived (or tried to live) with a 21st century woman
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:08 AM   #22
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
My position on not believing the God was once as man and man may become exactly like God doctrine puts me out of mainstream Mormon doctrine. I'm not trying to say my position is correct and should be adopted by everyone. And I'm not going to go about making this a pet doctrine that I assert on other members at church. It's just how I have reconciled some doctrines in my head and it works for me.

I'm going to wait and see on this one, and if it becomes taught by living prophet again I'll be happy to get on board.
Lorenzo Smith: As man is, God once was; as God is, man may become.

McConkie: Thus those who gain eternal life receive exaltation, they are gods.

Smith: Here then is eternal life - to know the only wise and true God; and you have got to learn how to be Gods yourselves, and to be kings and priests to God the same as all Gods have done before you.

Young: The Lord created you and me for the purpose of becoming Gods like himself.

Kimball: We are gods in embryo, and the Lord demands perfection of us.

You seem way out of touch regarding the church on this Santos.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:28 AM   #23
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post

Smith: Here then is eternal life - to know the only wise and true God; and you have got to learn how to be Gods yourselves, and to be kings and priests to God the same as all Gods have done before you.

Young: The Lord created you and me for the purpose of becoming Gods like himself.

You telling anyone that they're out of touch about anything regarding the LDS Church now goes on record as the single most ironic post in Cougarguard history.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:33 AM   #24
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
You telling anyone that they're out of touch about anything regarding the LDS Church now goes on record as the single most ironic post in Cougarguard history.
You are either insanely stupid or a super prick.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:43 AM   #25
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I would be very curious to know whether anyone who has read the whole sermon can say with a straight face that it isn't doctrine.
There's one part of that sermon that I firmly believe is not doctrinal. He taught that young children who die will remain as young children throughout eternity. That idea is not comforting to me at all, and I've never heard it taught anywhere since. I remember Dan once posted a link that talked about several of the brethren feeling that that particular portion of the sermon was not inspired.

Here's the quote: Highlighted portions are found only in the Wilford Woodruff account

"A question about parents receiving their children. Will mothers have their children in eternity? Yes! Yes! Mothers, you will have your children. For they will have it without price; for their debt of redemption is paid. There is no damnation awaiting them. For they are in the spirit. But as the child dies, so will it rise from the dead and be living in the burning of God and possessing all the intelligence of a God. It will never grow, it will be the child in its precise form as it was before it died out of your arms. Children dwell and exercise power throne upon throne, dominion upon dominion in the same form just as you laid them down. Eternity is full of thrones upon which dwell thousands of children, reigning on thrones of glory, with not one cubit added to their stature."

Last edited by SteelBlue; 08-06-2007 at 04:46 AM.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:50 AM   #26
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I agree I'm out on a limb a bit here. But the most recent thing a prophet has said on it is Hinckley's "I don't know that we teach that...". Obviously it wasn't a standard prophet at the pulpit in GC kind of setting, but it does make you wonder.

When I say I don't believe that Father in Heaven was once a man like me and that I don't think man will someday be a God exactly like Heavenly Father, I still can believe in several of the quotes above. Nothing you refer to here said in the last 100 years I would disagree with.

That doctrine is not in the canon and it's not taught by a living prophet.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 05:42 AM   #27
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
This coming from the dipyewt genius who reported to everyone that he spent his honeymoon reading a anti-mormon book.

I could care less what you think of me.

The facts are you have a long and embarrassingly laughable history of being so out there and openly vindictive and angry towards the LDS Church, when it comes to your "beliefs" and I use the term "beliefs" lightly. You put the troll in trolling and the ass in horses ass. You honestly should've finished whatever therapy you began many years ago.

Besides a complete and utter piece of shit like yourself hasn't earned the right to be taken seriously anyway.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 08-06-2007 at 05:52 AM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:54 PM   #28
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
On this site we have discussed ad nauseum the insights stemming from the McKay biography concerning the racist views of 20th century church apostles and prophets and how most of them were unwilling to even consider the idea of petitioning the Lord to extend His priesthood rights.

Along those lines, it seems as though the vast majority of today's church leaders carry an antequated view of the pre-feminist movement woman and the pre-workingplace woman, as though women are a bunch of mindless lemmings who want nothing more than to raise 10 kids and meekly serve and obey their husbands.

I guess you could say my top five would be:
1) An apostle who has lived (or tried to live) with a 21st century woman
2) A second apostle who has lived (or tried to live) with a 21st century woman
3) A third apostle who has lived (or tried to live) with a 21st century woman
4) A fourth apostle who has lived (or tried to live) with a 21st century woman
5) A fifth apostle who has lived (or tried to live) with a 21st century woman
This reminds me that many of my fellow Saints (at least in the N. American Church) have a completely antiquated understanding of feminism. To hear most Mormons talk about feminism, you'd think that the positions and arguments hadn't changed in about 30-40 years.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:56 PM   #29
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
You want us all to be promiscuous gays?
You can be, I'd be promiscuous with nonMormon women, they're more fun.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:10 PM   #30
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Besides a complete and utter piece of shit like yourself hasn't earned the right to be taken seriously anyway.
Quote:

Well, so much for a kinder gentler forum.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote