cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2007, 08:58 PM   #11
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
So other than aspects such as optative mood, what other particles should I note for differences in Attic Greek from Koine?

If I understand the hiearchy of Greek, we have Mycenean Greek in Linear B, which I have no idea how one reads, and prior to that we have preliteral Greek, when tones preceded syllabic emphasis, which turned into Homeric or Classical Attic Greek, which merged into Koine, into Medieval Greek and our Modern Greek.

So if I start at the top, do I have a better chance of understanding the lesser? Or is the transition more subtle?

Which Greek New Testament? Is there more than one text that's recognized?
I wouldn't learn Linear B to understand classical Greek any more than I would learn Etruscan to try to understand English. Classical Greek seems to be the best place to start; from there, variations in Koine or Homeric can be figured out.

In addition to what CHC said regarding the New Testament texts, I'd add one more possibility. If you question your drive, you may want to get an interlinear text. It's a good thing to have on hand if you're in the beginning/intermediate stages of learning Greek.

And CHC: What does a classicist major do with his life, anyway?

Last edited by All-American; 01-24-2007 at 09:02 PM.
All-American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:17 AM   #12
Chapel-Hill-Coug

Chapel-Hill-Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
And CHC: What does a classicist major do with his life, anyway?
Ha, where were you 8 years ago to ask that question? We become scholars, of course. No, seriously, most end up doing something unrelated. I may well be in that same boat...we'll see in a year or two. But I'm glad I did it and wouldn't change anything.
Chapel-Hill-Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:39 AM   #13
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

What are you doing with it now? I'm where you were eight years ago. Basically, I'm wondering if I'm going to give in to the filthy lucre and become a lawyer, or try to get a Ph.D. What did YOU do?
Old 01-25-2007, 04:49 AM   #14
Chapel-Hill-Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
What are you doing with it now? I'm where you were eight years ago. Basically, I'm wondering if I'm going to give in to the filthy lucre and become a lawyer, or try to get a Ph.D. What did YOU do?
Right now I am a dissertation away from a Ph. D. I always thought I would teach at BYU, but I have no interest in that now, despite some religion professors urging me to swallow my learning like they did and go back there and teach things I don't really think (the historical method is a Satanic conspiracy, stuff like that). So I'm taking a break, helping my wife start a business, and once that gets going I'll decide whether I want to finish my Ph.D. The problem is that I'm limited to Utah, since that's where my family is, and my wife's business. Doesn't give me a whole lot of incentive to finish, since there is not much demand for a biblical scholar at UVSC or the U. So it is up in the air. Even if the academic route doesn't pan out, I'll always be glad I got the doctoral education even without the certificate. It has changed my life for the better.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:59 AM   #15
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel-Hill-Coug View Post
Right now I am a dissertation away from a Ph. D. I always thought I would teach at BYU, but I have no interest in that now, despite some religion professors urging me to swallow my learning like they did and go back there and teach things I don't really think (the historical method is a Satanic conspiracy, stuff like that). So I'm taking a break, helping my wife start a business, and once that gets going I'll decide whether I want to finish my Ph.D. The problem is that I'm limited to Utah, since that's where my family is, and my wife's business. Doesn't give me a whole lot of incentive to finish, since there is not much demand for a biblical scholar at UVSC or the U. So it is up in the air. Even if the academic route doesn't pan out, I'll always be glad I got the doctoral education even without the certificate. It has changed my life for the better.
Aren't you being a bit glib with the Satanic conspiracy stuff? In the philosophy and legal wings of the School, that stuff was never taught nor believed.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:13 AM   #16
Chapel-Hill-Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Aren't you being a bit glib with the Satanic conspiracy stuff? In the philosophy and legal wings of the School, that stuff was never taught nor believed.
Yes, that is a slightly caricatured way of putting it, but the problem exists nonetheless. Not to mention you were in a whole different world in your field. In classics for example I got to do real biblical scholarship at BYU, in the Reli dept they strongly resist it. They don't teach NT greek, and most teachers don't explore critical issues like authorship questions or source questions (I took NT from Stephen Robinson and even he didn't deal with these issues). Teaching religion at BYU requires an entirely new level of discretion. I have first hand experience working with the cream of the crop in the religion department, including a summer-long seminar a couple years back writing papers to be included in an upcoming NT commentary (which probably won't happen, despite the efforts of a few who really would like to see real scholarship coming out of the Religion dept), and this is a real issue of real concern for many LDS grad students who aren't sure they want to come back to the Y. That seminar was a dealbreaker for me with regard to teaching at BYU.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:23 AM   #17
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Teaching religion at BYU requires an entirely new level of discretion.
So, where does the problem lie?

a) Leadership of religion dept
b) Central administration
c) Board of trustees
d) All of the above
Old 01-25-2007, 05:25 AM   #18
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Teaching religion at BYU requires an entirely new level of discretion.
What do you mean "new level?" Has something changed?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:28 AM   #19
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Seems like you wouldn't have to re-tool by much to have a place in some humanities department teaching Western Civ. or the like. But I know academia is impossibly competitive. Makes the law seem like an anuity.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:58 PM   #20
Chapel-Hill-Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
What do you mean "new level?" Has something changed?
Sorry that was poorly worded. What I meant to say is that compared to depts like classics or philosophy, teaching religion requires *a much higher level* of discretion. You can get away with it in other depts...that was my point. But no, not a lot has changed.