cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2008, 03:53 PM   #11
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
So you think that says "John McCain inventeed the blackberry?" If so, I am sure anyone reading can draw their own conclusion.

While a silly statement, perhaps, it is not nearly as silly as the contention that he was saying that McCain invented the blackberry.
The boldface was a nice touch too. Almost as effective as half a dozen exclamation points.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:57 PM   #12
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Yes, looks like a very weak form of payback by distorting his advisor's comment (which admittedly wasn't very helpful).

I expect to see an outraged Cali and Barbara appear here any minute.
I'm always outraged.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:58 PM   #13
BarbaraGordon

Blackberry silliness aside, Cali's more recent post still stands: McCain had a really rough day yesterday. Today he's on his "economy is bad" tour. He's been visiting all the national networks today, saying, and I quote: "The economy is bad, very bad."
Old 09-17-2008, 04:00 PM   #14
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Blackberry silliness aside, Cali's more recent post still stands: McCain had a really rough day yesterday. Today he's on his "economy is bad" tour. He's been visiting all the national networks today, saying, and I quote: "The economy is bad, very bad."

Not a great day, and with freinds like Carly . . . well, you know.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:21 PM   #15
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I don't actually care what it says. I think the implication is out there that McCain invented the Blackberry. No matter what he meant, it was terrible phrasing and it is hurting McCain today (turning into Gore's internet invention statement).

McCain had an awful day, and this was part of it. All campaigns say stupid things, and all of them have many gaffes. McCain's problem was that so many came at the same time during the middle of news about an economic crises.
I think you're vastly overstating the bberry issue.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:33 PM   #16
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't actually care what it says. I think the implication is out there that McCain invented the Blackberry. No matter what he meant, it was terrible phrasing and it is hurting McCain today (turning into Gore's internet invention statement).
This will get no traction, mostly because it will be linked with the Gore/internet stuff. Dems are a victim of their own success in stifling that absurdity.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:42 PM   #17
creekster

Quote:
Overstating? I listed it as one of about 10 things that went poorly for McCain yesterday. Are you under the impression it was a positive occurence?
No, but I am under the impression that you are unable to hear yourself sometimes and fail to realize how over the top you sound (or else you are just funnin' us and don't care). If you read my post, you will see where I called the blackberry statement silly. Are you under the impression that that means it is a positive thing?

You admit, tacitly, that the original statement did not say McCain invented the internet. Instead, you are crowing about the impact of the implication. The impact you are so excited about is vastly overstated. There is no impact and even the implication has no traction, perhaps because unlike Gore;'s situation, the statement didn't say that.

I have already said McCain had a less than great day, but this stuff about the blackberry is simply silly.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:12 PM   #18
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
No, but I am under the impression that you are unable to hear yourself sometimes and fail to realize how over the top you sound (or else you are just funnin' us and don't care). If you read my post, you will see where I called the blackberry statement silly. Are you under the impression that that means it is a positive thing?

You admit, tacitly, that the original statement did not say McCain invented the internet. Instead, you are crowing about the impact of the implication. The impact you are so excited about is vastly overstated. There is no impact and even the implication has no traction, perhaps because unlike Gore;'s situation, the statement didn't say that.

I have already said McCain had a less than great day, but this stuff about the blackberry is simply silly.
I have determined Cali does not believe one tenth of what he posts, but simply carries on this persona for trolling delight. Hence his posts are meaningless as he is not as effective as Mike in switching the angles, Cali's angles are as predictable as Tex's, just from a different partyline.

I'd prefer he'd mix up his trolling rather than just mimic the trolling occurring during Gore's "creating the Internet" episode. At least be original. Mike is often quite original.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:21 PM   #19
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Hence his posts are meaningless as he is not as effective as Mike in switching the angles, Cali's angles are as predictable as Tex's, just from a different partyline.
On the contrary, that's why Mike's trolling is so ineffective. He's all over the map in his posts, so it's too obvious that he's trolling. Everybody knows he doesn't believe anything he says.

On the other end of the spectrum, you've got Seattle who's so consistently the hyper-intellectual Mormon-hater, or TDaddy, consistently the condescending moneybags bigtime football lover, or even Cali, the kool-aid drinking Democrat. They keep their personas and trolling bait consistent and are consequently much more believable and effective.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:23 PM   #20
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
On the contrary, that's why Mike's trolling is so ineffective. He's all over the map in his posts, so it's too obvious that he's trolling. Everybody knows he doesn't believe anything he says.

On the other end of the spectrum, you've got Seattle who's so consistently the hyper-intellectual Mormon-hater, or TDaddy, consistently the condescending moneybags bigtime football lover, or even Cali, the kool-aid drinking Democrat. They keep their personas and trolling bait consistent and are consequently much more believable and effective.
A good argument until they go over the top as Cali did in this thread, where his obvious efforts to mimic the Gore fiasco fell flat.