cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2008, 12:18 AM   #11
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Obviously my first sentence was sarcastic (not directed at anyone). You know the LDS Church hasn't always allowed women to pray in sacrament mtgs right?
Personally, I don't know the "history" of who prays when.

I do love the attacks on the church that take the form, "They did/taught doctrine or practice in the 1800's/1900's; how come you don't do/teach doctrine or practice anymore?"

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:20 AM   #12
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Obviously my first sentence was sarcastic (not directed at anyone). You know the LDS Church hasn't always allowed women to pray in sacrament mtgs right?
It was just a few years ago that they changed the policy. ("clarified" the policy?)
Old 02-25-2008, 12:22 AM   #13
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Had an interesting policy question come up last week. A friend of mine who is the Exec Sec in his ward set up prayers for Sacrament meeting and just by chance, asked a woman to say the invocation and a man to say the benediction. One of the counselors (the one conducting) approached him and asked him to switch the order, indicating the church custom that a Melchizedek priesthood holder should open Sacrament meeting.

It's been a long time since I'd heard this little nugget, so I cross-checked it in the Handbook. Not there. I asked our bishop about it, and he indicated we too follow that policy, and it's one of President Packer's "unwritten rules." I went and referenced Packer's "The Unwritten Order of Things" and it's not in there (though he could've said it in a local visit, I suppose).

I'm curious, how many of your wards follow that policy, and do you think it's one of those little (incorrect) traditions we've built our doctrine around? Personally, I see nothing wrong with a worthy sister opening Sacrament meeting, I don't like the implication that it should be otherwise.
Our stake is very hard core about following this "rule," among other unwritten, unofficial policies.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:26 AM   #14
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
It was just a few years ago that they changed the policy. ("clarified" the policy?)
According to this post (take it or leave it), the policy was changed in 1978 via First Presidency letter. It appears to have been a simple custom with no real scriptural foundation that was changed in accordance to the changing demands of the membership of the church (ie, the women wanted to participate more).

A good decision, IMO.

http://www.bordeglobal.com/foruminv/...howtopic=11769

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:32 AM   #15
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Our ex sec called last night and asked if my wife and I would say the prayers today. I told him the wife would say the opening prayer since I don't open for anybody. He was fine with that.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:41 AM   #16
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Let 'em do all the praying except for sacrament prayers, else they tell us how we did it wrong any way.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:55 AM   #17
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

I just went back and looked at the last two months worths of Sac. Mtg. programs. Apparently our ward follows the "man first" custom. I'm not sure if it is by direction of the Bishop or if it is just because the guy that signs up the prayers (Ward Clerk) is an old geezer and sticks to the tradition on his own. I'll ask the bishop about it now that my curiosity is piqued.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:59 AM   #18
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Packer's "The Unwritten Order of Things" ...
I have never read this talk, but I sure hear it quoted a lot. What other "rules" does it contain?
Old 02-25-2008, 01:06 AM   #19
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I have never read this talk, but I sure hear it quoted a lot. What other "rules" does it contain?
Wait 30 minutes after eating before you go swimming.
Don't run with scissors.
Don't his your sister.
Knock first.

Stuff like that.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:14 AM   #20
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Had an interesting policy question come up last week. A friend of mine who is the Exec Sec in his ward set up prayers for Sacrament meeting and just by chance, asked a woman to say the invocation and a man to say the benediction. One of the counselors (the one conducting) approached him and asked him to switch the order, indicating the church custom that a Melchizedek priesthood holder should open Sacrament meeting.

It's been a long time since I'd heard this little nugget, so I cross-checked it in the Handbook. Not there. I asked our bishop about it, and he indicated we too follow that policy, and it's one of President Packer's "unwritten rules." I went and referenced Packer's "The Unwritten Order of Things" and it's not in there (though he could've said it in a local visit, I suppose).

I'm curious, how many of your wards follow that policy, and do you think it's one of those little (incorrect) traditions we've built our doctrine around? Personally, I see nothing wrong with a worthy sister opening Sacrament meeting, I don't like the implication that it should be otherwise.
Not my ward at all. Today was our ward conference and we didn't even have a Melchizedek priesthood holder say a prayer. a 17 year old YW said the opening prayer and a 17 year old YM said the closing prayer.

Må din pung bli överkörd av femhundra siamesiska elefantbögar samtidigt som du får en ananas uppkörd långt upp i rektum - Most common thing said to LiveCoug on his mission.
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote