cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2007, 03:18 PM   #11
FMCoug

FMCoug

All 3 undefeated non-BCS teams who made BCS bowls have beaten BCS conference opponents in their seasons. They were not necessarily GOOD BCS conference teams, but even Hawaii this year beat Washington.

So if Bronco is saying don't play top 10 teams that's one thing. If he's saying don't play BCS conference teams at all, that's quite another.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:22 PM   #12
HuskyFreeNorthwest

HuskyFreeNorthwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I hope guys like BYU71 go ballistic to Holmoe about the implication that we may go to less than 2 BCS games per year.
We have already had this conversation here, winning is more important that playing or beating teams from BCS conferences. Donations, season ticket sales, attendance all went dramatically up in a year with no home games against BCS teams.

BYU didn't play games against "BCS" teams only rarely during the glorious 1980s and attendance was much better then than it has been for the last 13 years. If BYU wins these dumbed down games they will lose some but gain plenty who want to be associated with a winner.
HuskyFreeNorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:24 PM   #13
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

What's Bronco supposed to say? He's looking at a third year in the LV bowl against a mid-range PAC 10 opponent (and one we have already played this year) and this is as good as it's going to get. Depressing.

Then along comes Hawaii, undefeated against the worst schedule in I-A and they are in the Sugar Bowl playing a real BCS opponent, plus all the added prestige and money and fun of the BCS bowl. BSU did it last year and Utah's opponents during its BCS run weren't stellar. Fresno State and TCU had their chances but scheduled too upscale. The formula looks set and Bronco is only responding to that.

I don't like it either, but I'd much rather be playing Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:27 PM   #14
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

BCS games against: UCLA, Washington,,which is a 4 game series by the way, Arizona State and Florida State are a good start.

I will be sorely dissapointed if we schedule a 3rd D-IAA team in 4 years to replace Nevada, but at the same time I'm a football nut. I live 45 minutes from the stadium and will still be a season ticket holder.

I love the sport. I live 15 minutes from RES here in Salt Lake and when their home games don't conflict with a BYU game that's at home or on T.V. then I go up there to watch some football as well.

I know I'm a total and complete dork, but I guess playing those BCS teams is the frosting on the cake for watching a team that I enjoy watching. I want to see us move up and get into a BCS Conference, but the forces of reality just aren't there in that regard and likely never will be.

Yes,,,it completely blows being in the MWC and playing the same crappy teams year in and year out,,,but at the same time, I love BYU football and will continue to buy my season tickets and go to the games, and continue to travel to 1-2 away games every year, regardless of who we play.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:27 PM   #15
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
What's Bronco supposed to say? He's looking at a third year in the LV bowl against a mid-range PAC 10 opponent (and one we have already played this year) and this is as good as it's going to get. Depressing.

Then along comes Hawaii, undefeated against the worst schedule in I-A and they are in the Sugar Bowl playing a real BCS opponent, plus all the added prestige and money and fun of the BCS bowl. BSU did it last year and Utah's opponents during its BCS run weren't stellar. Fresno State and TCU had their chances but scheduled too upscale. The formula looks set and Bronco is only responding to that.

I don't like it either, but I'd much rather be playing Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.
Bottom line. Hawaii's in the Sugar Bowl and not us because they're better than us.

If Hawaii had our schedule they'd have gone 11-1 and still gone to Sugar Bowl. If we had Hawaii's schedule, we would have lost a game.

You want a BCS bowl? You play like a top 12 team all season. That's the only way in.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:28 PM   #16
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
BCS games against: UCLA, Washington,,which is a 4 game series by the way, Arizona State and Florida State are a good start.

I will be sorely dissapointed if we schedule a 3rd D-IAA team in 4 years to replace Nevada, but at the same time I'm a football nut. I live 45 minutes from the stadium and will still be a season ticket holder.

I love the sport. I live 15 minutes from RES here in Salt Lake and when their home games don't conflict with a BYU game that's at home or on T.V. then I go up there to watch some football as well.

I know I'm a total and complete dork, but I guess playing those BCS teams is the frosting on the cake for watching a team that I enjoy watching. I want to see us move up and get into a BCS Conference, but the forces of reality just aren't there in that regard and likely never will be.

Yes,,,it completely blows being in the MWC and playing the same crappy teams year in and year out,,,but at the same time, I love BYU football and will continue to buy my season tickets and go to the games, and continue to travel to 1-2 away games every year, regardless of who we play.
Yeah, me too. So what. I'm still pissed about our schedule.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:29 PM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't watch the EWU game. But I guess there aren't a lot of fans like me who have better things to do than watch scrimmages.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:35 PM   #18
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Being five hours from the stadium means it is a time commitment for me to attend. And I've owned season tickets while I've lived in Vegas. However, EWU games don't make it fun.

USC, even though we lost, was fun. The color and pageantry of big time football with BYU is fun.

Defeating no. 1 Miami is a favorite memory of mine, one if we had Bronco's philosophy of scheduling scrimmages only, that would never happen.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:39 PM   #19
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Our schedule over the next 2 years is better than most Non-BCS teams.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:41 PM   #20
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Our schedule over the next 2 years is better than most Non-BCS teams.
I'm patiently awaiting all the pissing and moaning about how crappy our schedule is because Florida State isn't any good anymore, even though the series was scheduled about 6 years ago.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote