cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 04:54 AM   #11
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
I agree. I'm just being cynical for a moment.
I figured as much. Just thought I'd explain for the lurking audience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
Every system has its flaws. I'm trying to look at this from multiple angles.

Our ward clerk told me it was because of counterfeit recommends.
That's what the First Presidency letter said. Amazingly, I've seen some people deny that it was in the letter, instead claiming no reason was given at all. We joke about Miss Teen South Carolina being stupid, but let me tell you about the Mormon rumor mill ...
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:03 AM   #12
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
We joke about Miss Teen South Carolina being stupid, but let me tell you about the Mormon rumor mill ...
Good old Tex. Keeping watch over the fold.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:16 AM   #13
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Soonercoug calls himelf that but is not an Oklahoma fan. That should tell you all you need to know about him.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:38 AM   #14
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Good old Tex. Keeping watch over the fold.
How oft I would have gathered you as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:42 AM   #15
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
How oft I would have gathered you as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not.
LOL. Well done.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:55 PM   #16
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, it probably won't get back to the bishop right now, but I am still going to answer the bishop carefully when he asks 'So, do you attend the temple regularly.' My answer will be 'Do you know something?' Being truthful is always the best response especially whne they may know the numbers better than you do.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:02 PM   #17
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
Yeah, it probably won't get back to the bishop right now, but I am still going to answer the bishop carefully when he asks 'So, do you attend the temple regularly.' My answer will be 'Do you know something?' Being truthful is always the best response especially whne they may know the numbers better than you do.
Define "regularly".
Old 08-28-2007, 02:27 PM   #18
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Soonercoug calls himelf that but is not an Oklahoma fan. That should tell you all you need to know about him.
Sooner can also apply to a resident of the state of Oklahoma, sort of like "Hoosier" doesn't necessarily apply to U of Indiana fans (e.g. the movie Hoosiers).

True apostates (like SeattleUte) think quasi-apostates (like me) are hypocrites. I think I'm true to the fact that I like many aspects of Mormonism, and I'm proud of my heritage, and I'd rather not abandon Mormonism because it would unnecessarily create sorrow in my family.

I've come to the conclusion that most people are acting no matter what religion you consider. Choosing to believe in something that's unbelievable is an act. Faith is the process of convincing yourself that an unreasonable belief is actually true, so that you no longer feel like you're acting.

Seattle is jealous that I have a bar code and he doesn't.

Last edited by SoonerCoug; 08-28-2007 at 02:31 PM.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:50 PM   #19
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I've got some ocean-front property in Az for you.

If they have the capacity to know, they will know. Are they going to print out a report and mail it to every bishop? Of course not. This is what they mean when they say there is no system in place to check the attendance of members.

But when they are considering someone for mission president or stake president or certainly GA status, they will check on that person's temple attendance. When a BYU professor is being looked at to see whether he is orthodox enough, they will check.

Just like they check the yearly tithing totals for these individuals before calling them, they will check their Temple attendance.

And yes, even though your local bishop doesn't have access to your historical tithing records, church HQ does. As they say: 90% of revelation is information.
This sounds correct.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:50 PM   #20
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I've got some ocean-front property in Az for you.

If they have the capacity to know, they will know. Are they going to print out a report and mail it to every bishop? Of course not. This is what they mean when they say there is no system in place to check the attendance of members.

But when they are considering someone for mission president or stake president or certainly GA status, they will check on that person's temple attendance. When a BYU professor is being looked at to see whether he is orthodox enough, they will check.

Just like they check the yearly tithing totals for these individuals before calling them, they will check their Temple attendance.

And yes, even though your local bishop doesn't have access to your historical tithing records, church HQ does. As they say: 90% of revelation is information.
I thought revelation was relation. I'm really confused now.

All I know is that I've already devised a strategy to beat the system. Get scanned by security, read something in the lobby, and off I go.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote