cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 01:19 AM   #11
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn_stat View Post
Over the past year, I've given out three BofMs to highly educated individuals - I was in a serious auto accident last year about this time, and spent two weeks in critical/intensive care. One of the RNs who was assigned to me in critical care had a master's degree and was obviously very intelligent, and we had several gospel discussions and I eventually gave her a BofM. I also gave one of the residents who operated on me a Book of Mormon - he said he and his wife were looking for a church, and he noticed a copy on the stand beside me during one of his visits. He asked about it, I wrote my testimony in it, and gave it to him. Lastly, a work colleague with a PhD. who I'd become quite good friends with received one when he left the company.
Good post. Makes me think about how I can do better.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:47 AM   #12
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

One of the more interesting converts I worked with in Vienna was a French woman (her husband was a Russian and the head of UNIDO) with a doctorate in psychology from the Sorbonne. Her dissertation dealt with religious visions. She said the various accounts of the First Vision were the first such stories she had ever found to be faith-promoting and genuine. Visiting her small mansion on the outskirts of Vienna was great, as meals were prepared by a fine French chef, and she had original works of art, including a Rembrandt or two, although a few were often on loan to the Kunsthistorisches Museum.

BTW, I agree that churches tend to attract a disproportionate number of poor, whether of purse or in heart. But then (and excuse the weak analogy--it's late), hospitals tend to attract the sick.

Last edited by PaloAltoCougar; 08-20-2007 at 05:50 AM.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 06:09 AM   #13
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
One of the more interesting converts I worked with in Vienna was a French woman (her husband was a Russian and the head of UNIDO) with a doctorate in psychology from the Sorbonne. Her dissertation dealt with religious visions. She said the various accounts of the First Vision were the first such stories she had ever found to be faith-promoting and genuine. Visiting her small mansion on the outskirts of Vienna was great, as meals were prepared by a fine French chef, and she had original works of art, including a Rembrandt or two, although a few were often on loan to the Kunsthistorisches Museum.

BTW, I agree that churches tend to attract a disproportionate number of poor, whether of purse or in heart. But then (and excuse the weak analogy--it's late), hospitals tend to attract the sick.
I wish PAC was not a semi-retired poster. I do enjoy reading posts from the sage of the South Bay.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote