cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 04:10 AM   #11
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

At first glance this looks like a decent article on the subject:

http://www.lds.org/portal/site/LDSOr...____&hideNav=1
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:16 AM   #12
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
At first glance this looks like a decent article on the subject:

http://www.lds.org/portal/site/LDSOr...____&hideNav=1
Yeah, that was the one resource/article I could find, and you're right...it does have some good info.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:23 AM   #13
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I also like to use a couple of other gospel doctrine sites to supplement Bro Pelagius' class notes:

http://www.ldsgospeldoctrine.net/index.html

http://www.israelrevealed.com/supple...ine/index.html

http://feastuponthewordblog.org/

Daniel Rona's site and the first link don't have very good search functions, but are easily searchable by scripture chapter. The feast blog is easy to keyword search.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:52 AM   #14
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
Talk about how temples have almost become idols in our church. Pagan symbols that blind us to the real message contained within.

Talk about how obscene it may be that the church spends millions on temple construction and up keep, for a worship that can be and has been done in nature.

Talk about how Jesus wasn't here to erect a physical temple of stone, that we literally are the temples we scamper to build.
I'll give you 10 bucks to say that to President Hinckley's face.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:58 AM   #15
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
See what happens when you add Jesus into the search
Well that narrowed it down to 9, and they were mainly historical works that largely quoted Josephus. The most interesting one IMO is Herodian Times and Historical Backgrounds, BYU Studies, vol. 36 (1996-97), Number 3--1996-97. I couldn't paste it here because it is 189388 characters and we are limited to 5000. So that would be about 38 maxed out posts. But here is a sample:

There are several reasons for presuming that Jesus did not enter the temple itself. First, according to Jewish law, Jesus did not hold the proper priesthood office to enter the temple. If he had entered the temple, mention of this event and the corresponding outrage by the Jewish leaders probably would appear in the Gospels. Second, two Greek words with significant differences in meaning have been translated simply as "temple" in the King James Version. The Greek word naos most often refers to the actual temple structure. The Greek word hieron refers to the "temple at Jerusalem, including the whole temple precinct[w.[ith] its buildings, courts, etc." Walter Bauer, A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature, trans. William F. Arndt and F. Wilbur Gingrich, 2d ed. (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1979), s.v. "hieron." For example, in Luke 1:9, Zacharias burned incense in the naos. In Matt. 21:12, Jesus went in to the hieron to cast out those who "sold and bought," meaning he did not enter the temple itself but the surrounding precinct. The word hieron is used in the references to Jesus being in the temple.
Netzer, "Herod’s Building Program," 3:172.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:03 PM   #16
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
I'll give you 10 bucks to say that to President Hinckley's face.
My point was Jesus didn't come to build a temple, he came to show that he was the temple. How each individual interprets that is up to the individual.

Walk down to temple square on any night and see how many people are found gazing up at the temple, in awe at that built from the hand of man forgetting the beauty of that built by the hand of God.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:10 PM   #17
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
My point was Jesus didn't come to build a temple, he came to show that he was the temple. How each individual interprets that is up to the individual.

Walk down to temple square on any night and see how many people are found gazing up at the temple, in awe at that built from the hand of man forgetting the beauty of that built by the hand of God.
Isn't it quite possible that the people are standing there in awe of what God has brought about. That is what I stand there and think about, not the magnificense of the building. It's nice, really nice. However, if I was going to stand in awe of a building for the building, there are plenty of others I would go and stand in awe of first.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:11 PM   #18
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

You make an assumption here not in evidence.

"In awe of the hand of man."

Perhaps they marvel at the materials provided by God to man, the knowledge God has imbued man with, and the symbology of the temple in representing man's omphalus with God.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:11 PM   #19
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

geez... do you ever get bored spewing out complete crap?
Old 08-17-2007, 04:12 PM   #20
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I agree with you in principle. I believe it is easier to remember the simple purpose of Christ's mission without ornate structures tempting our interest and awe. However, neither you nor I are totally aware what others are pondering upon at Temple Square or anywhere else.

You as accurate with LDS members thoughts as you are in evaluating college football players, uhhhhh especially at the qb position? Could you give me a percentage breakdown of which mormons are thinking what where? Use the patented 5-90-5 breakdown with the middle 90 being some type of mediocrity.

I miss you pontificating about sports.