cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2007, 07:43 PM   #11
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Which 5 things you most wish the Prophet would reveal to the general membership of the church?
1. Two hour meeting schedule.
2. Two hour meeting schedule.
3. Two hour meeting schedule.
4. Two hour meeting schedule.
5. Two hour meeting schedule.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:51 PM   #12
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
1. Clarification on common teachings that may or may not be true doctrine.

We will all be Heavenly Fathers and Mothers creating worlds in the eternity.

God was once a man.

All the other school of the prophets kind of stuff that hasn't been taught by a living prophet in my lifetime.
I just read the whole King Follet Discourse for the first time last week. Having now done so, it seems very clear that God having once been a man is doctrine, particularly because of the way Joseph frames what he is saying. I am now very puzzled by Pres. Hinkley's comments which seem to cast doubt on it. I would be very curious to know whether anyone who has read the whole sermon can say with a straight face that it isn't doctrine.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:14 PM   #13
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I just read the whole King Follet Discourse for the first time last week. Having now done so, it seems very clear that God having once been a man is doctrine, particularly because of the way Joseph frames what he is saying. I am now very puzzled by Pres. Hinkley's comments which seem to cast doubt on it. I would be very curious to know whether anyone who has read the whole sermon can say with a straight face that it isn't doctrine.
Even if true, what kind of man was He? Was He a God-man like Jesus in the incarnation? Or was a sinner? I have trouble accepting that He was once a sinner.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:49 PM   #14
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
1. Revise the temple ceremony to get rid of the cultural/theatrical aspects and focus on the covenants. Replace the silly men's hat with a simple white yarmulke.

2. Stop doing missionary work primarily via 18th century door to door techniques and start seriously using modern technology to preach the gospel to the masses. Call young LDS families with dynamic parents to plant congregations in the third world.

3. Have a church-wide reformation much like 1856 including a re-baptism of all members. Announce it at October conference and have six months of fasting praying and repenting. Anyone and everyone is invited to be baptized on Saturday morning before Conference in April. The church is cleanzed of the phantom members on the rolls. The members are reenergized and refreshed.

4. Have the Quorum of the 12 focus on preaching and teaching the gospel and give over control of the finances etc to 7 managers (ala Acts 6:2-3).

5. Every ward to send a family to Jerusalem and support them financially until they got established. I have no idea why or what this would accomplish, but it would be neat to see the ward mobilize and send someone. And the geopolitical ramifications would be interesting. Ok I admit I just made that one up.
No wonder why people think Mormons are weird.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:33 PM   #15
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
This one has always seemed odd to me. If you want your youth to aspire to temple weddings why not let them come to their older brothers and sisters weddings?

Because the man's hat is rediculous looking and they will laugh at it. And many sealers are not inspiring in what they say. In other words, if they saw what they are aspiring to, they might not be very inspired.
Do you really think it is the pomp and circumstance they aspire to or the promise of being sealed to their mate forever?
Old 08-06-2007, 12:44 AM   #16
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I know exactly what Joseph meant and how Joseph understood it as he preached the King Follet Discourse. But I still don't know that it's doctrine. Joseph and Brigham taught a lot of stuff that went away and didn't become doctrine.

It's not in our canon. And it's not taught clearly by a living prophet. That's the criteria for me for doctrine.

I'm inclined not to believe it. But it would be nice to have some clarification.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:09 AM   #17
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

You guys have no imagination.

Change the Law of Chastity, so that men can have sex whenever they want and women cannot.

Change the tithing to two percent for you and twenty percent for everybody else.

Change Church to one hour on Sunday.

Change HT so that it's eliminated.

Make the temple shorter without weird clothing and focus upon covenants.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:14 AM   #18
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
You guys have no imagination.

Change the Law of Chastity, so that men can have sex whenever they want and women cannot.
You want us all to be promiscuous gays?
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:15 AM   #19
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I know exactly what Joseph meant and how Joseph understood it as he preached the King Follet Discourse. But I still don't know that it's doctrine. Joseph and Brigham taught a lot of stuff that went away and didn't become doctrine.

It's not in our canon. And it's not taught clearly by a living prophet. That's the criteria for me for doctrine.

I'm inclined not to believe it. But it would be nice to have some clarification.
I don't really disagree with your criteria. I'm much more familiar with Brigham's non-doctrinal teachings than Joseph's though. Was there some other example you had in mind?

Also, and someone may educate me, but I don't think what Joseph taught there has ever been "overruled" so to speak. I was just referring to President Hinkley in an interview in response to a question on the topic saying something to the effect of "we don't really know much about that." I assume there was good reason for the deflection, I just don't know what it is. Maybe it is a milk before meat sort of think, but when Joseph preached that sermon he directed it to the ends of the earth.

It is no more than an interesting contradiction, though it may only be an apparent contradiction.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:23 AM   #20
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't really disagree with your criteria. I'm much more familiar with Brigham's non-doctrinal teachings than Joseph's though. Was there some other example you had in mind?

Also, and someone may educate me, but I don't think what Joseph taught there has ever been "overruled" so to speak. I was just referring to President Hinkley in an interview in response to a question on the topic saying something to the effect of "we don't really know much about that." I assume there was good reason for the deflection, I just don't know what it is. Maybe it is a milk before meat sort of think, but when Joseph preached that sermon he directed it to the ends of the earth.

It is no more than an interesting contradiction, though it may only be an apparent contradiction.
Just off the top of my head, I consider some of Joseph's statements on polygamy to be non-doctrinal. But certainly Brigham has some more common statements that have been proven wrong or officialy reversed.

My position on not believing the God was once as man and man may become exactly like God doctrine puts me out of mainstream Mormon doctrine. I'm not trying to say my position is correct and should be adopted by everyone. And I'm not going to go about making this a pet doctrine that I assert on other members at church. It's just how I have reconciled some doctrines in my head and it works for me.

I'm going to wait and see on this one, and if it becomes taught by living prophet again I'll be happy to get on board.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote