cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 03:00 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I have a hard time believing there is any "hymn book only" policy in force. We have non-hymn book musical numbers almost every week. And this has been the case for many years.
I do remember a cutting back policy, I think, because sacrament mtg. was thought to be turning into a recital hall in some places.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:01 PM   #12
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I didn't jump in the debate from Requiem's first post on this. Everyone said the bishop was wrong. And I agree, he was wrong in that he should have allowed it to go through after the counselor gave permission and they practiced. But someone said the policy of hymn book songs only in sacrament had been reversed and no one challenged it. Are you sure that was reversed? I'm still under the belief that hymn book songs only are allowed and know of some entanglements with my hardliner bishop recently over this issue.
I think I am going to get a complex that nobody reads my posts anymore. Here is the excerpt from the Church Handbook of Instructions (a smaller part of the excerpt I posted in the other thread):

Quote:
The hymns of the Church are the basic music for Latter-day Saint meetings and are standard for all congregational singing. Hymns are also encouraged for prelude and postlude music, choir music, and special selections. If other musical selections are used, they should be in keeping with the spirit of the hymns of the Church. Texts should be doctrinally correct. (See "Hymns for Congregations," Hymns, pages 380–81.)
There is no hymn only rule, but the rule does stress the importance and maybe you can say the handbook suggests hymns are superior.

Last edited by pelagius; 08-02-2007 at 03:04 PM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:08 PM   #13
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
I think I am going to get a complex that nobody reads my posts anymore. Here is the excerpt from the Church Handbook of Instructions (a smaller part of the excerpt I posted in the other thread):

There is no hymn only rule, but the rule does stress the importance and maybe you can say the handbook suggests hymns are superior.

Thanks. Sorry I only read the first page or so of that other thread. Maybe it was a stake policy that bishop was following or maybe he was just a hardliner doing his own thing.

"Must be doctrinally correct." There's a loaded statement. We've got active LDS on this board that all believe they're doctrinally correct that cover the whole gamut. And maybe worse we have combined opinion from active LDS on this board that believe certain doctrine is incorrect which covers nearly the whole gamut.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:13 PM   #14
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Thanks. Sorry I only read the first page or so of that other thread. Maybe it was a stake policy that bishop was following or maybe he was just a hardliner doing his own thing.

"Must be doctrinally correct." There's a loaded statement. We've got active LDS on this board that all believe they're doctrinally correct that cover the whole gamut. And maybe worse we have combined opinion from active LDS on this board that believe certain doctrine is incorrect which covers nearly the whole gamut.
I think the statement is very carefully worded in a sense. It allows Bishops to impose a strict hymn only policy and still easily be within the guidelines. It also allows bishops to be much more flexible and allow Mormon Pop or African-American spirituals (we sang them in the Hyde Park Chicago ward as congregation hymns occassionally).

Last edited by pelagius; 08-02-2007 at 03:22 PM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:52 PM   #15
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
She and I just waited in the back seat of my car until the dance was over and the people who were with us came out.

LOL! I am sure "waiting" was better than dancing anyway.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:07 PM   #16
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I agree with the sentiment behind the restriction wholeheartedly. Unfortunately, Mormon congregations won't consistently choose great music like Come Thou Font or Deep River.

Without the restrictions we would get a steady diet of the crap off of Deseret Book's Discount Mormon Music Bin.
This is an excellent point and I'm surprised that nobody has made it until now. From what I've read Requiem's Bishop should have been able to see that Deep River was absolutely appropriate. But I think the strict rules are there more to keep the trendy crap (someone aptly called it EFY Bull$#@*) out of our meetings. IMO, this is the much tougher task and it's harder to do without clear "guidance".
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote