cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 03:33 PM   #11
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
all men must wear white shirts and be clean shaven. All women must wear nylons and no sandals.

Her bishop also does not schedule talks, he calls people up at random out of the congregation to discuss certain topics. He does give the topics the week before and he expects everyone to go home and study them.

My mom told me that the foyers have never been so full.
why dont people refuse? I certainly would
Old 07-16-2007, 03:35 PM   #12
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
all men must wear white shirts and be clean shaven. All women must wear nylons and no sandals.

Her bishop also does not schedule talks, he calls people up at random out of the congregation to discuss certain topics. He does give the topics the week before and he expects everyone to go home and study them.

My mom told me that the foyers have never been so full.

I like the giving talks idea. I really like it, actually. The whole ward studies together and comes to the meeting mutually prepared.

I don't like the white shirt and clean shaven thing.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:36 PM   #13
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Don't fall victim to the Obedience Boogeyman.
I wouldn't ever do that. Obedience to the laws of tithing, chastity, church attendance, prayer, etc. are so important that when someone pulls out the obedience card on wearing a white shirt, I just giggle. I will never fall victim to the Obedience Boogeyman.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:36 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
why dont people refuse? I certainly would
Sometimes watching a disaster in action is very entertaining. Like one time I was in the foyer and this kid was playing with a heavy metal ball, sort of like a metal marble on steroids. he was rolling it around on the carpet, and I knew if it hit the chapel doors it would create a huge "BOOM". I kept hoping it would happen, and sure enough it did.

If I was in this ward, I would be sitting there looking at the empty pews, look up at the Bishop, and just chuckle. See how bad it can get.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:37 PM   #15
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I love this kind of thing. There are few places where you can be a badass by simply wearing a blue shirt and not shaving.
Really, what will the Stake President do if someone doesn't comply? Not call you to a stake leadership position?

Stake Pres.: "Brother Padrino, I wanted to call you as Stake YM 2nd councilor, but your failure to shave leads me to believe that it would be a mistake."

Me: "Sweet! See ya."

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:38 PM   #16
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

If you came to church with a blue shirt and sporting a goat would they send you home?
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:39 PM   #17
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

by the way this is in Eagle Mountain. My dad (who is the most least educated person when it comes to church doctrine) was called up on Sunday, his topic was the 13th article of faith. My dad is always trying to be a comedian, so he walks up to the stand and says:

"dont have sex before you are married, and dont quit"

He then walks back to the pews and sits down. My mom said she was so embarrassed. The bishops jaw dropped and he didnt know what to say.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:40 PM   #18
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I wouldn't ever do that. Obedience to the laws of tithing, chastity, church attendance, prayer, etc. are so important that when someone pulls out the obedience card on wearing a white shirt, I just giggle. I will never fall victim to the Obedience Boogeyman.
The problem the legalists have is that they love the law and obedience so much (which is not a bad thing) that when they have it down for the main concepts they want to push it higher and higher and push their standards on others, because it puts them higher than others and helps take the focus on the harder-to-live principles of the gospel. That's when you get crap like white shirt/clean shaven stuff. The only thing it's going to do in the end is ostracize the new/inactive member who isn't ready for it.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:40 PM   #19
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

We already have people posting here establishing a consensus that maybe TWO sacrament meetings a year aren't unwatchable they're so bad, and oberwhelmingly saying home teaching should be abolished because it does more harm than good. I suppose making people give talkes they're unprepared to give can't make things much worse. There may even be some entertainment value in watching folks make fools of themselves.

May I suggest paid/professional clergy and a beautiful Latin mass of ancient origin to make things more palatable?

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 07-16-2007 at 03:44 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:41 PM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
"dont have sex before you are married, and dont quit"

He then walks back to the pews and sits down. My mom said she was so embarrassed. The bishops jaw dropped and he didnt know what to say.
I don't get the "don't quit" part. He should have said "dont' have sex before you are married, and don't quit after you are."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote