cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2006, 03:28 PM   #21
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Ah yes, this is the kind of great courage and leadership we can expect from Chris Cannon. Go on record to endorse the cheesiest film ever made by Mel Gibson.

Kind of sad that he replaced Bill Orton.
The Patriot is one of the worst films I have ever seen -well actually, I turned it off a little more than mid-way through. How did it end?

Awful, just terrible.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 04:14 PM   #22
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Never liked the Patriot either. Not one of Mel Gibson's best movies.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 06:44 PM   #23
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=tooblue;49039]The Patriot is one of the worst films I have ever seen -well actually, I turned it off a little more than mid-way through. How did it end?
QUOTE]

We won and they lost. Plus, Mel got to hook up with his dead wife's sister. Critics and history be damned, I liked the movie.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 07:10 PM   #24
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I thought Patriot was a fine movie. Plus, after watching it, I don't need to read books (ugh) about the Revolutionary War. Considering your distaste for the film, you will be pleased to know that when the movie came out, the brother of the Deseret Morning News new editor, Congressman Chris Cannon, said something to the effect that every Utahn should watch the Patriot. He caught a lot of heat for that couragous statement because it was rated R.

Seriously though, what's your problem with the Patriot? If you don't like the Patriot, he has a different movie you'd be sure to like, "What Woman Want."
The Patriot was Braveheart in tri-corner hats. I didn't like it either.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:19 PM   #25
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

The movie may have been bad overall, but who can honestly say they didn't like the scene where Mel and his two sons lie in wait in the woods and then take apart the contingent of Brittish soldiers with muskets and hatchets? Nobody does raw, no-frills violence like Mel Gibson.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:32 PM   #26
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
The movie may have been bad overall, but who can honestly say they didn't like the scene where Mel and his two sons lie in wait in the woods and then take apart the contingent of Brittish soldiers with muskets and hatchets? Nobody does raw, no-frills violence like Mel Gibson.
True. You'll love Apocalypto then. After the tenth head rolling you'll think you've seen it all, but that's just the start.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:25 PM   #27
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
I actually really liked it. Lots of blood. Lots of violence. Lots of cimeters and obsidian blades. Lots of boobies of the National Geographic variety. Lots of creative liberty. The subtitles didn't distract. It has a Last of the Mohicans type feel and it is quite humorous in some parts. The pace was nice too and moved surprisingly fast for all subtitles. I received a text about 2 hours into the movie and couldn't believe that the time had passed so quickly when I glanced at my cell phone.

And yes, if there ever was a legit Book of Mormon movie made it would be rated R.
Saw Apocalypto last weekend. Horrible. Next to Sin City it's the most violent movie I've ever seen. Which isn't bad in and of itself, but the violence was gratuitous in nature and wasn't necessary to carry the story forward.

There was no point. It was one giant chase scene. Might go down in my bottom 10 list.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote