cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2007, 09:07 PM   #21
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Joseph Smith approved of their inclusion in the D&C.

I would answer your second question with a "no."
Well maybe 10 years down the road the LDS prophet will decide D&C 20 is no longer up to snuff and will axe it. After all, what did that silly Joseph Smith know anyway.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:30 PM   #22
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Well maybe 10 years down the road the LDS prophet will decide D&C 20 is no longer up to snuff and will axe it. After all, what did that silly Joseph Smith know anyway.
Having an open canon means that writings can move in and out of it. It means that the value of scripture is not static and allows for subsequent prophets to call our attention to this or that idea, and to minimize this or that idea.

Taking D&C 20 out of the canon would not make Joseph Smith silly. Prophets preach in part and prophesy in part. They disagree with each other, and sometimes their disagreements are sitting right there in scripture. Scripture is full of wonderful tensions, diverse ideas, and contradictory counsel. Like anyone, prophets are wrong about things sometimes, and their rightness can be limited in time and/or space. They are certainly not omniscient (Brigham Young famously said in 1854 that "I have known many times I have preached wrong but I asked the Father in the name of Jesus to take it from the minds of the people and I believe he always did drop the veil over it.")

Paul's teaching in 1 Corinthians 13 is valuable: For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see through a a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known."

If you want absolute truth, you won't find it from a human being--from any human being. The passage from 1 Thess. 5 in my signature line applies here.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 06-05-2007 at 09:37 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:53 PM   #23
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Having an open canon means that writings can move in and out of it. It means that the value of scripture is not static and allows for subsequent prophets to call our attention to this or that idea, and to minimize this or that idea.

Taking D&C 20 out of the canon would not make Joseph Smith silly. Prophets preach in part and prophesy in part. They disagree with each other, and sometimes their disagreements are sitting right there in scripture. Scripture is full of wonderful tensions, diverse ideas, and contradictory counsel. Like anyone, prophets are wrong about things sometimes, and their rightness can be limited in time and/or space. They are certainly not omniscient (Brigham Young famously said in 1854 that "I have known many times I have preached wrong but I asked the Father in the name of Jesus to take it from the minds of the people and I believe he always did drop the veil over it.")

Paul's teaching in 1 Corinthians 13 is valuable: For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see through a a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known."

If you want absolute truth, you won't find it from a human being--from any human being. The passage from 1 Thess. 5 in my signature line applies here.

Actually, the removal of canon is more of a witness of a living, breathing organ. We are a congregation historically built upon charismatic leadership, with faith, reason and experience determining our dialects. Our culture will educate us, will advance us and will cause us to grow out of our coocoons.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:55 PM   #24
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Actually, the removal of canon is more of a witness of a living, breathing organ. We are a congregation historically built upon charismatic leadership, with faith, reason and experience determining our dialects. Our culture will educate us, will advance us and will cause us to grow out of our coocoons.
I agree with this (and was trying to articulate this, in my convoluted way), although I think my emphasis on fallibility is both accurate and healthy. Your "growing out of cocoons" sounds exactly like Emerson.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 06-05-2007 at 10:10 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote