cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 07:23 PM   #11
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

I live in South Jordan. Golden Cougar. Season tickets for 12+ years. I sit in section 7, row 9 (right on the railing). Row 9 is the best: plenty of leg room, a place to hang your coat, nobody in front of you, excellent people watching when the action is slow, and quick-exit when the game is over.

My pre-game routine:
  • Leave two hours before game time. This is an old habit from when I lived in Taylorsville and the freeway was under construction and it used to take forever to get to games.
  • Park in the parking lot west of the stadium - I see a few tailgaters in there but not too many
  • Wander over to the KSL tailgate for about 10 minutes and see if they are handing out any free crap (towels, #1 fingers, mini footballs, etc.) that my kids will play with for a few minutes and then annoy me with the rest of the game.
  • Sit on the grass outside to kill some time until the band comes down the street.
  • Watch the band stop and play the fight song in front of the cougar statue
  • Go into the stadium and get some lunch and eat it on a bench (I hate trying to sit there and balance my lunch on my lap while the game is being played)
  • Go find my seat and watch the last of the warm ups, watch the band come on the field, the national anthem, prayer, lighting the Y (lame), the team run out on the field, etc.

I've thought about tailgating but never had enough gumption to start doing it on my own. Because I've never tailgated before, I don't really understand what the appeal is. It seems to me that the prep/cleanup would be more hassle than it's worth. It also seems to me that in order to get cleaned up before the game starts (assuming a noon kickoff) that you would have to leave the house by 9:00, get to the stadium by 10:00 and be ready to eat lunch by 11:00 and then just barely make the kickoff (or be late for kickoff).

I'm the type that is always there for kickoff but doesn't have a problem leaving early in the fourth if the game isn't on the line (and the Fowlers let me hear it every time I leave early ). What I don't understand are the tailgaters that not only miss the kickoff but miss the whole game and just sit in the parking lot the entire time (sometimes they watch the game on TV). That really doesn't make sense to me.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 07:28 PM   #12
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
I've thought about tailgating but never had enough gumption to start doing it on my own. Because I've never tailgated before, I don't really understand what the appeal is. It seems to me that the prep/cleanup would be more hassle than it's worth.
I tailgate at my house. I then leave for the game on my scooter about ten minutes prior to game. I park about 50 yards from the stadium and get to my seat just in time for the coin toss.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:45 PM   #13
BigFatMeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I tailgate at my house. I then leave for the game on my scooter about ten minutes prior to game. I park about 50 yards from the stadium and get to my seat just in time for the coin toss.
Sounds like a sweet setup. How does Maude like riding on the back of the scooter?
Old 05-03-2007, 08:41 PM   #14
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sounds like a sweet setup. How does Maude like riding on the back of the scooter?
Usually it's the little Lebowski. Maude has no interest in college football.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:46 PM   #15
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I live in South Jordan. Golden Cougar. Season tickets for 12+ years. I sit in section 7, row 9 (right on the railing). Row 9 is the best: plenty of leg room, a place to hang your coat, nobody in front of you, excellent people watching when the action is slow, and quick-exit when the game is over.

My pre-game routine:
  • Leave two hours before game time. This is an old habit from when I lived in Taylorsville and the freeway was under construction and it used to take forever to get to games.
  • Park in the parking lot west of the stadium - I see a few tailgaters in there but not too many
  • Wander over to the KSL tailgate for about 10 minutes and see if they are handing out any free crap (towels, #1 fingers, mini footballs, etc.) that my kids will play with for a few minutes and then annoy me with the rest of the game.
  • Sit on the grass outside to kill some time until the band comes down the street.
  • Watch the band stop and play the fight song in front of the cougar statue
  • Go into the stadium and get some lunch and eat it on a bench (I hate trying to sit there and balance my lunch on my lap while the game is being played)
  • Go find my seat and watch the last of the warm ups, watch the band come on the field, the national anthem, prayer, lighting the Y (lame), the team run out on the field, etc.

I've thought about tailgating but never had enough gumption to start doing it on my own. Because I've never tailgated before, I don't really understand what the appeal is. It seems to me that the prep/cleanup would be more hassle than it's worth. It also seems to me that in order to get cleaned up before the game starts (assuming a noon kickoff) that you would have to leave the house by 9:00, get to the stadium by 10:00 and be ready to eat lunch by 11:00 and then just barely make the kickoff (or be late for kickoff).

I'm the type that is always there for kickoff but doesn't have a problem leaving early in the fourth if the game isn't on the line (and the Fowlers let me hear it every time I leave early ). What I don't understand are the tailgaters that not only miss the kickoff but miss the whole game and just sit in the parking lot the entire time (sometimes they watch the game on TV). That really doesn't make sense to me.

The appeal of tailgating.. For me it's a great way to spend time with family and friends. We eat, visit, play cards, watch highlight videos, we may do a dart board this year, etc. etc. You get to sit and enjoy the smells of gameday, enjoy the scenery, smell the BBQ'ing, etc. It's RELAXING!! You don't have to fight game day traffic or freak out that you're going to be 2 seconds late.

The setup and take down for us is simple. We each of one 10'x10' tent that requires 1 or 2 people and a total of 3 minutes to set it up. We have tables, chairs, small grills, etc. I guess it takes maybe 15 minutes total to set up and the same to take down. We're starting to get pretty organized and efficient. The thing that can take the longest amount of time is probably just marinating the meat and if you haven't done it much, making sure you have everything beforehand. I've had plenty of tailgates where we sit there wishing we had something else... it gets better each time you do it though.

If it's a noon kick off, I live in Holladay, we leave at 8:30am get there at 9:15, we're set up at 9:30 and by 10-10:30 we are eating our pancakes, bacon, eggs, sausages, hashbrowns, or whatever else is on the menu. We usually try to get to our tailgating spot 3 hours before the game.

You should at least try tailgating for the home opener against Arizona. If you plan well and are with people you enjoy being with, you will really enjoy it! Kickoff is at 3:30 so it will be PERFECT! show up at 11 or 11:30 and enjoy the afternoon at LaVell Edwards Stadium... If you want help or ideas, let me know...
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 01:30 AM   #16
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been to two games in Provo: the 2003 and 2005 Holy Wars. If this years is held over Thanksgiving weekend again, I will be there for the trifecta.

Hope this helps.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:11 AM   #17
BigFatMeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
The appeal of tailgating.. For me it's a great way to spend time with family and friends. We eat, visit, play cards, watch highlight videos, we may do a dart board this year, etc. etc. You get to sit and enjoy the smells of gameday, enjoy the scenery, smell the BBQ'ing, etc. It's RELAXING!! You don't have to fight game day traffic or freak out that you're going to be 2 seconds late.

The setup and take down for us is simple. We each of one 10'x10' tent that requires 1 or 2 people and a total of 3 minutes to set it up. We have tables, chairs, small grills, etc. I guess it takes maybe 15 minutes total to set up and the same to take down. We're starting to get pretty organized and efficient. The thing that can take the longest amount of time is probably just marinating the meat and if you haven't done it much, making sure you have everything beforehand. I've had plenty of tailgates where we sit there wishing we had something else... it gets better each time you do it though.

If it's a noon kick off, I live in Holladay, we leave at 8:30am get there at 9:15, we're set up at 9:30 and by 10-10:30 we are eating our pancakes, bacon, eggs, sausages, hashbrowns, or whatever else is on the menu. We usually try to get to our tailgating spot 3 hours before the game.

You should at least try tailgating for the home opener against Arizona. If you plan well and are with people you enjoy being with, you will really enjoy it! Kickoff is at 3:30 so it will be PERFECT! show up at 11 or 11:30 and enjoy the afternoon at LaVell Edwards Stadium... If you want help or ideas, let me know...
So where are all the tailgaters? I see a few in the West Lot but not too many. Are they on the grass fields to the west of the West Lot? It'll just be me and three kids so I would feel dorky tailgaiting by myself - is there a "tailgaters area" where all the hardcore tailgaters go?
Old 05-04-2007, 02:49 AM   #18
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
hardcore tailgaters?
At BYU?

That's my thought as well.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote