cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 03:43 PM   #21
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
What? No "Frère Jacques?"

I remember my favorite phrase in 7th grade French was, "Comme-ci, comme ça." I used it for everything.

How are you doing today? - Comme-ci, comme ça
How was the dinner? - Comme-ci, comme ça
How is the weather? Comme-ci, comme ça
How is the search for the new Ute basketball coach going? - Comme-ci, comme ça
Some traditions live on to this day with beginning French speakers everywhere.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:21 PM   #22
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
My 8th grade french class sang christmas songs... in fact Il lest ney le divine enfant (yeah I know I screwed up the spelling) is the only thing I remember from French class... BTW i didnt take ap english either... Solon the wise did and I remember his reading it....
Yeah, we read [rather, were supposed to read] Genesis, Job and Psalms.

I routinely use the Hebrew Bible for teaching about Hebrew history in Western Civ. and the book of Acts for teaching about early Christianity.

When I taught in Utah (at the U of U), a fairly routine essay question was "What made Christianity so successful in the Roman Empire?" Invariably, at least one student would reply, "The Holy Ghost" or some variation of the theme.

I think it's important students learn (before college, hopefully) that one person's "scriptures" are just "writings" to another person. Valuable and historical, perhaps, but not everyone believes in inspired writing.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:26 PM   #23
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
When I taught in Utah (at the U of U), a fairly routine essay question was "What made Christianity so successful in the Roman Empire?" Invariably, at least one student would reply, "The Holy Ghost" or some variation of the theme.
That's funny!
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:40 PM   #24
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
Have you ever been to Alabama? Lets just say I would not feel comfortable with my kids being taught that version of the bible. And I can assure you that the fine Christian people of Alabama would not want their kids anywhere near our interpretation of the bible.

This is of course the argument against school prayer as well. Some places prayer means shouting to "Father god" in a hand holding circle, with people saying amen, and raising their arms in supplication. In those places our tradition would get completely washed out.
That's because they would be preaching the Bible, not reading it as a piece of literature.

If it's preached, I don't want my kids having any part of it. If they read it, then that's another matter. BTW, I recommend fully that you buy your youth a New Revised Standard Version for your children, as they will find it so much more readable than the KJV.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:09 AM   #25
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
That's because they would be preaching the Bible, not reading it as a piece of literature.

If it's preached, I don't want my kids having any part of it. If they read it, then that's another matter. BTW, I recommend fully that you buy your youth a New Revised Standard Version for your children, as they will find it so much more readable than the KJV.
My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't want my kids to be preached to from the Bible, but reading it as literature is fine by me.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 12:11 AM   #26
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

The only French I know are phrases that one shouldn't say at all - and I only learned them because they're close enough to Italian that I understand them.

French has a certain, "I don't know what" that doesn't much appeal to me.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:42 PM   #27
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Who would think it was controversial, other than those who wouldn't want the Bible studied as a subject?

(Yes, that's my little dig at the left. )
Actually, it's religioius lefties who are pushing for this. Prothero's book is having an impact.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote