cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 02:33 AM   #41
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Iron shirts?

I'm doing good if the shirt I pull on isn't inside out.

As for Sunday wear, my shirts are cleaned and pressed. It's a habit I picked up working as a funeral director all those years because a dry cleaner is next door to the mortuary.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:23 AM   #42
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

One thing I miss about living in the south is I wouldn't have to iron my shirts. The humidity will magically remove most wrinkles.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:28 AM   #43
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
Nylons are evil. They're only good for robbing convenience stores (so I learned from watching Raising Arizona).
"I'll be taking these Huggies and whatever cash ya got.

And make it quick, I'm in dutch with the wife."
Old 03-14-2007, 01:28 PM   #44
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
"I'll be taking these Huggies and whatever cash ya got.

And make it quick, I'm in dutch with the wife."
"Son, you've got a panty on your head"
Old 03-14-2007, 02:32 PM   #45
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
There are certain tasks in life that just aren't worth the time they require. Ironing shirts or blouses is one of them. For about $1.00 you can have a shirt washed, pressed, with or without starch, and put on a hanger or folded in a box. There is no way it would ever be possible to justify your own time for doing this, not to mention that the shirts done at home very, very rarely (I suspect tooblue will argue abotu this) look as good as the ones done in the laundry. Now I am only talking about dress shirts, as t-shirts and casual shirts I ususally don't mess with at the laundry, but for work or church shirts, you could never convince me that it isn't worth it to have someone else do it for me.
Call me strange but I find ironing cathartic –it’s one of the few menial task I enjoy … and I absolutely HATE wrinkled clothes. Truth be told I won’t let my wife iron my shirts, she is far too haphazard and rushed.

Besides –who’s got time to go to the dry cleaners, not all of us can afford to hire personal assistants to fetch our drycleaning!
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:36 PM   #46
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
Was Jesus a sharp dresser?

Also, I've always wondered whether Adam had a belly button.
I am certain he was a sharp dresser -consider all those paintings of him as evidence
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:02 PM   #47
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Are they nylons or pantyhose? My wife gives me that "How can you be so ignorant?" look when I refer to her pantyhose as nylons. She should be happy with my ignorance of such matters.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:45 PM   #48
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
I'm used to it, so dressing up doesn't bother me. I do refuse to wear nylons ever, which still scandalizes my mother.
Mrs. FM and I find it humorous to observed the dress transition or new sisters in the ward from Utah. The dress code for sisters in the wards here seems to be blouse,skirt,no nylons/hose/whatever, and sandals/flip flops type of shoes. Mainly due to the heat I imagine.

The women from Utah move in with their pumps, nylons, dresses, etc. and it's funny to see how quickly they modify their dress. It's also an intersting persponality study. The ones who continue to dress that way tend to be the ones that consider themselves "in the mission field" and refer to Utah as "home" and consider their time here some great sacrifice for their husband's job. Makes you wonder what they really think of us backwards Texans.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:50 AM   #49
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
There are certain tasks in life that just aren't worth the time they require. Ironing shirts or blouses is one of them. For about $1.00 you can have a shirt washed, pressed, with or without starch, and put on a hanger or folded in a box.

On a related note, I hate going to a professional conference and seeing a guy in a shirt that you know he just bought at Penny's and waited until he got out of the shower that morning to take it out of the package. The guy thinks he's blending in, but for some reason doesn't notice the folds of lines and right angles around his waist.

- Bronco, when asked how to describe PH
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:09 PM   #50
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Head View Post
On a related note, I hate going to a professional conference and seeing a guy in a shirt that you know he just bought at Penny's and waited until he got out of the shower that morning to take it out of the package. The guy thinks he's blending in, but for some reason doesn't notice the folds of lines and right angles around his waist.
Did he at least remember to take off the "inspected by #17" sticker? If so, he's ahead of Mr. Gordon.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote