cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2007, 10:13 PM   #1
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Some amazing sculptures!

I've got to find to a way to see these in person ...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn....htm?startat=1
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:28 PM   #2
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Those are fascinating.

The only one that looked less "real" to me was the pregnant lady. I thought her belly was too protruding for her body type.

The self portrait was interesting and the Big Man leaning against the wall has such as realistic frustrated look on his face.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:08 AM   #3
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

What's with the woman in the red scarf staring straight on at the "wild man?"
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 03:28 PM   #4
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

tooblue, as the resident artist here, I'd like to hear your thoughts as to these particular sculptures. What makes them interesting to you?

For me, I guess the sheer scale of them would be interesting to see in person. Otherwise, is the art in just trying to make them as realistic as possible? I guess I don't see that as being as creative as something more abstract. That was just my reaction.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 03:30 PM   #5
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

The only one that looked less "real" to me was the pregnant lady. I thought her belly was too protruding for her body type

I don't know about that, anyone who saw me in my last pregnancy could vouch that my belly looked disproportinately big for the rest of my body. It was huge.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:16 PM   #6
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
tooblue, as the resident artist here, I'd like to hear your thoughts as to these particular sculptures. What makes them interesting to you?

For me, I guess the sheer scale of them would be interesting to see in person. Otherwise, is the art in just trying to make them as realistic as possible? I guess I don't see that as being as creative as something more abstract. That was just my reaction.
In a world where we are so easily seduced by CGI and clever video editing in films and tv, interaction with these works would be wonderfully real and I imagine some what uncomfortable or even unnerving. Not unlike the experience of observing and drawing a model in a life drawing class.

It’s one thing to watch 3D modeled creatures, large or small, human or otherwise, animate in accordance to a linear story line and remain safely confined within a large rectangle frame from which you are always at a distance. Yet to be able to stand in the presence of, walk around and even reach out and touch (if permitted) painstakingly crafted, larger than life 3D models of the human form is fascinating and fun!

All of the sculptures are anatomically correct with accurate details such as hair and skin blemishes. I am particularly intrigued by the sculpture of the bald, nude, heavy-set man crouched in a corner, as well as the bodiless head, asleep.

I can very easily relate to and/or see myself as that sculpted form. The fact that the sculpture is hyper realistic, almost a characature and much larger than real life visually conveys human sense of self and ego.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:26 PM   #7
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
What's with the woman in the red scarf staring straight on at the "wild man?"
She's probably thinking where have I seen this man? Oh wait, I know -he actually kinda reminds me of ..... me!

Wo, wierd, ewwww ..... cool!