cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2007, 03:32 AM   #21
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I don't believe in Virgin birth. Don't believe it. I hope Waters doesn't think this is disrespectful toward his faith.

Gary Wills thinks that a supermajority of Americans believing in Virgin birth means we're in decline. That's because he's from Chicago. I'm not surprised or alarmed.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:13 AM   #22
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I don't believe in Virgin birth. Don't believe it. I hope Waters doesn't think this is disrespectful toward his faith.

Gary Wills thinks that a supermajority of Americans believing in Virgin birth means we're in decline. That's because he's from Chicago. I'm not surprised or alarmed.
Grapevine? Is that you?
Old 01-18-2007, 02:15 PM   #23
aaronshaf

aaronshaf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Why is sex so evil among these evangelicals?

We are to believe that Christ never married, never had sex. We are to believe that in the afterlife, there is no marriage and no sex. We are to believe that Mary never had sex. We are to believe that Paul taught that we should not have sex.
Sex certainly is not evil. You're confusing a modern Roman Catholic doctrine with a historic Christian (and evangelical) doctrine: Mary certainly had sex, for she had other children. In 1 Corinthians 7, Paul explicitly counseled that it was better to remain single for the purpose of being focused on Christ (not because sex is wrong).

Because of what Paul said, and because of what Jesus himself said, not to mention the nature of his ministry and identity, there's no good reason to believe Jesus was married.

Quote:
Matthew 19:10 The disciples said to him, “If such is the case of a man with his wife, it is better not to marry.” 11 But he said to them, “Not everyone can receive this saying, but only those to whom it is given. 12 For there are eunuchs who have been so from birth, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by men, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. Let the one who is able to receive this receive it.”
aaronshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:26 PM   #24
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
I have a friend who claims that he fathered not one, but two children without ever "penetrating." I like to call it the Magic Bullet Theory.
I have him beat...3 and counting (hopefully).....
Old 01-18-2007, 02:40 PM   #25
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Then we must have been in decline from the beginning. Amazing the advancements we've had in such a decline.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:08 PM   #26
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

This isn't responding so much to your comment, SU, as it is an assertion that unorthodoxy on this point is sitting smack dab in the middle of the NT.

The writers of the Gospels of Mark and John make no claims about a virgin birth whatsoever. They either didn't know of the idea or didn't agree with the idea, but somehow this didn't stop them from writing about and believing in Jesus. In Mark, Jesus becomes the "only begotten" at his baptism. John is concerned with his pre-earth existence as the Word. But hey, maybe those writers aren't Christians after all--they're just heretics--oh wait, their perspectives have been canonized!

Oops.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:22 PM   #27
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Does this mean you'll be wearing a red "University of Utah fertility clinic" sweatshirt at the U/Y basketball game in the Marriott Center?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:12 PM   #28
Hazzard

Hazzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
<Cannot ... resist ... dirty ... joke ...> Then that's not the only thing you "have beat" ...
Hazzard is offline   Reply With Quote