cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 04:40 PM   #1
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa
Default Being excommunicated more than once

Do any of you know someone who has been excommunicated more than one time and still come back to the church or even been allowed to?

I know one person who was excommunicated, then a year later, re-baptized, then about 2 years later excommunicated again.

Is there a limit on the number of times a person can go through excommunication?

Sorry if this post was grape-vinish in nature.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 04:49 PM   #2
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

i still dont understand the purpose of excommunication except in extreme cases where the person doesnt want to be part of the church, or has committed a serious crime...
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 04:51 PM   #3
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
i still dont understand the purpose of excommunication except in extreme cases where the person doesnt want to be part of the church, or has committed a serious crime...
So, for example, if a member is actively homosexual, doesn't want to change, and still wants to be a member, you don't understand why he would be excommunicated?

Or if the same thing was going on and the member was hetero?
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 04:59 PM   #4
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
Excommunication is an act of love. It permits a person to fully reconcile with the Lord and ‘wipe the slate clean’. It is a means by which a person can truly repent and completely abandon past actions, starting over as if he/she were a pre 8 year old child.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 05:00 PM   #5
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I didn't use to feel the way you do now Fusnik, but I do now.

I've several good friends over the past couple years go through church court disciplinary actions and through what I believe is my own personal/spiritual growth, and personal testimony that they are guided and directed by the spirit.

Seeing what they've gone through and maybe some of my own experiences have made me more compassionate and understanding.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 05:02 PM   #6
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo
Quote:
So, for example, if a member is actively homosexual, doesn't want to change, and still wants to be a member, you don't understand why he would be excommunicated?

Or if the same thing was going on and the member was hetero?
i think its safe to say someone actively engaged in sexual sin who will not stop their sin does not want to be part of the church regardless what they say.

someone who fornicates and is constantly seeking help from the church should not be excommunicated in my opinion and here is why.

fusnik today can move to san francisco, can live a homosexual and heterosexual open lifestyle for the next 20 years. i can have as much sex as i want with as many people as i want. i can drink, smoke, and live life like there is no tomorrow. if i decide to come back to the church in 20 years i wont be excommunicated. ill start down the path of forgiveness hand in hand with jesus and his church. and please dont tell me thats not how it happens because i know multiple people who have done a very similar thing.....

now contrast that with someone who cheats on his wife a couple of times during a marriage of 20 years. he for sure will be exposed to excommunication as he stays partly active in the church.

the pathway to forgiveness is different for every individual. and that is exactly how it should be. we are an organic church that is constantly in movement and being such everyones experience differs greatly. as long as you have revelation in the church and bishops/stake presidents, 'discerning' what a member should do to gain the approval of the church than excommunication should not be an option if the individual is in supplication with the church. since there is no black and white standard for retribution of your sins there shouldnt be a black and white penalty unless a person is unwilling to change. but until a person says, i aint changing, keep excommunication out of the picture.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 05:50 PM   #7
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I agree with that, fus. You just failed to mention the whole "but until a person says, i aint changing, keep excommunication out of the picture" thing.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:16 PM   #8
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I know a guy who was ex'd twice, and last I heard he didn't have any desire to be re-re-baptized.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote