cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2007, 03:49 PM   #21
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
We just moved in to a new ward and I am the lucky recipient of a sweet new church calling: teaching 6 year olds in Primary. What makes this so great is that I get to team-teach with my wife. This means that my wife gets to teach Primary and I get to sit there and crack jokes and color when its coloring time and eat treats when it is treat time. This past week we made cool name tags with our names spelled out with alphabet stickers. I made a kick-butt Brother Meanie nametag with lightning bolt stickers and everything.

Man, I'm so glad I got a good calling like this. The benefits are fantastic:
- No reponsibility
- Don't have to attend Priesthood or Sunday School
- Get to have treats with the kids
- Get to sing Popcorn Popping and Once There Was a Snowman during singing time

Way better than having to do something sucky like Ward Missionary. Man, I just hope I can fly under the radar for a couple years so I can keep a cakewalk calling like this.
I've been teaching primary for the last year and a half, and I was a nursery leader for almost two years before that. (that's right, I haven't had much of a chance to sleep in EQ for almost four years). I just finished teaching the six year-olds and now I'm teaching the kids who turn eight. I really enjoy it and feel appreciated by the kids (that's more than I can say for some of the adults). We have good lessons and the kids ask sincere and thoughtful questions. To top it off, my primary president is excellent. She doesn't expect me to simply spit the manual and actually believes that all inspiration for callings does not come through the words of the correlation committee. It's shocking, I know, but it's true. In fact, she is, hands down, the best Church leader I've ever worked with. They will have to take me kicking and screaming from this calling.

My only quibble with what you've written is your "no responsibility" remark. If you're referring to the minimum of meetings and correlation BS, or to the avoidance of SS and Priesthood meetings, I can relate. But teaching the kids, even in nursery, is a great responsibility.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:49 PM   #22
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
Primary is the second best calling in the church. Nursery is the best. Hands down. Its not even close. Let me tell you what I do:

We have 4 total teachers in the room with 10 kids (there are two nurseries, an older nursery for the kids that start the year as 18 month olds and older and another nursery for all the kids that will join nursery during the year). We sit on the floor and the kids play with cars, puzzles, books, etc. An hour of that. If a kid has a dirty diaper, out he goes to have his parents change him.

When the hour is done, we sing songs for 5-10 minutes. Then we have a 'lesson' for 5-10 minutes, then we eat snacks (which I get to eat as well) for 15 minutes. Then we just goof around. It is awesome. I spend about 30 minutes once a month outside of church preparing a lesson and then I get to hang out with the kids. I better not get released.
The smell of dirty diapers does it for me. That aspect makes me pleased to have no grandchildren, just yet, and older kids.

No, I disagree Primary is better.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:14 PM   #23
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
I've been teaching primary for the last year and a half, and I was a nursery leader for almost two years before that. (that's right, I haven't had much of a chance to sleep in EQ for almost four years). I just finished teaching the six year-olds and now I'm teaching the kids who turn eight. I really enjoy it and feel appreciated by the kids (that's more than I can say for some of the adults). We have good lessons and the kids ask sincere and thoughtful questions. To top it off, my primary president is excellent. She doesn't expect me to simply spit the manual and actually believes that all inspiration for callings does not come through the words of the correlation committee. It's shocking, I know, but it's true. In fact, she is, hands down, the best Church leader I've ever worked with. They will have to take me kicking and screaming from this calling.

My only quibble with what you've written is your "no responsibility" remark. If you're referring to the minimum of meetings and correlation BS, or to the avoidance of SS and Priesthood meetings, I can relate. But teaching the kids, even in nursery, is a great responsibility.
I'm referring to the fact that Mrs. Meanie does the actual teaching. I'm responsible for making the treat selection each week, organizing potty excursions, crowd control (making sure we fold our arms and are reverent when we walk into sharing/singing time, sitting between the two rowdy boys, etc.), and remembering whose birthday is coming up. Now that is the kind of resonsibility I can handle.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 05:19 PM   #24
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

I taught 6-year-old boys last year. Of course the curriculum would be different, but this is what I learned:

1. Boys like the Old Testament (Jericho, the flood, the Red Sea, David/Goliath)
2. Boys have no interest in the New Testament ("love thy neighbor" and the woman at the well).
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 05:37 PM   #25
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I taught 6-year-old boys last year. Of course the curriculum would be different, but this is what I learned:

1. Boys like the Old Testament (Jericho, the flood, the Red Sea, David/Goliath)
2. Boys have no interest in the New Testament ("love thy neighbor" and the woman at the well).
That's because they've yet to be feminized and castrated by the liberal public school system.

Come to think of it, I think the Old Testament is a lot more fun too.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 06:13 PM   #26
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
I'm referring to the fact that Mrs. Meanie does the actual teaching. I'm responsible for making the treat selection each week, organizing potty excursions, crowd control (making sure we fold our arms and are reverent when we walk into sharing/singing time, sitting between the two rowdy boys, etc.), and remembering whose birthday is coming up. Now that is the kind of resonsibility I can handle.
Gotcha. Check.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote