cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2006, 06:30 AM   #1
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road
Default Wattage and VO2 Max test

I recently ran across an old copy of a road Wattage and VO2 Max test that I've used in the past. Its very interesting info for those interested in cycling physiology and in objective tools to measure progress. More specifically, those interested in wattage, but too cheap to buy a Powertap or the like (although they are getting much cheaper – Polar has one for $300 and ibikes.com has a new model with power, altimeter, etc for $350) .

I've done these tests in the last couple of years and found them to be fairly accurate as compared to some lab tests that I did during grad school. I don't know if that is because the tests are somewhat valid or if the “constants” that he uses are just junk numbers to give you the results that you want.

If I were more ambitious, I would put it all in plug-in format in an Excel Spreadsheet, but that will have to wait until another day, or until one of you gets off your lazy butts and does it for me.

Simplified Road test to determine Wattage and VO2 Max

(Adapted from Jonathan Vaughters training camp)
  1. Weigh yourself and your bike, fully loaded included full water bottles. Convert to kilograms (divide pounds by 2.2).
  2. Find a tough hill to climb that takes at least 10 minutes to complete. Steep grade of at least 6-8% is needed for a “valid” test. Determine the climbs elevation gain, preferably with the use of an altimeter.
  3. Warm up well and then time yourself while riding the climb as hard as you can.
Calculations
  1. Meters per Minute climbed ( very important calculation to become a good climber)
    1. Simply divide the height of the climb (in meters) by the number of minutes required to finish, expressing seconds as a decimal.
Results (for the pros):
19 Meters/min = Survive Le Tour
22-25 Meters/min = Place top 30 in the Tour
30-32 Meters/min = Win climb of l'Alpe d'Huez

For the recreational rider
Cat 1-2 rider – 20-25 M/min
Masters – 17-22 M/min
  1. Average Watts
    1. Multiply vertical meters of climb by total weight of bike and rider in kg.
    2. Divide the result by the time of the climb in seconds.
    3. Multiply that number by 10 and add 60 ( a constant for rolling resistance, friction etc.)
For example, if you climbed 186 meters in 10 minutes and your total bike and body weight is 80 kg, your average wattage is 308.
  1. VO2 Max
    1. Divide average watts by an efficiency factor of 72 to get total oxygen consumption in Liters per minute.
    2. Multiply results by 1,000 to millimeters of O2 consumed.
    3. Divide millimeters of oxygen by your body weight in kg to get VO2 Max, expressed in standard ml/kg/min.
      No standards are given for VO2 Max, but as a general rule, rec riders are 40-40ml/kg/min, highly trained athletes are 50-60ml/kg/min and elite athletes are beyond that, probably 60-65 ml/kg/min.
I won't tell you what my scores were.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:23 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes because your results were simply amazing.

I won't tell mine as they would make you all smirk, what with Super Blue Goose, Cat 1, and Cycling God of Crete Creekster.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:11 PM   #3
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I put the calculations on an excel spreadsheet, if anyone is interested.

Is there a way to post it as an attachment?
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:24 PM   #4
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I won't tell mine as they would make you all smirk, what with Super Blue Goose, Cat 1, and Cycling God of Crete Creekster.
I just came across this. You are killing me.. THe only impressive thing I can do around a steep hill is descend. I'm telling you this is the honest truth. Someday when we catually ride together you are going to be embarrassed about these cracks about me.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:17 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
I put the calculations on an excel spreadsheet, if anyone is interested.

Is there a way to post it as an attachment?
Post them, super lance.