cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2006, 07:20 PM   #1
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Has anyone seen "Wordplay"?

I'm a crossword lover. This movie looks great, but so far hasn't landed here in Redding.

Here's a review from Ebert. Our IT dept. has blocked just about every website I've ever heard of so this was the only page where I could get a review.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/.../60620005/1023
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 06:09 AM   #2
SteelBlue

C'mon, I can't be the only crossword fanatic on cougarguard.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:26 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Crossword puzzles frustrate me. There are either too many or not enough boxes for the words I know are the right answers.

But, I can still hit a curveball.

To be honest, I hadn't heard of this film until you posted about it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 04:49 PM   #4
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw Will Shortz on Letterman promoting the film. It looks good. I love crosswords. I can usually do the New York Times puzzle until Thursday or Friday. I don't even try the Sunday puzzle anymore, because it's just makes me feel dumb.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 06:29 AM   #5
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
I saw Will Shortz on Letterman promoting the film. It looks good. I love crosswords. I can usually do the New York Times puzzle until Thursday or Friday. I don't even try the Sunday puzzle anymore, because it's just makes me feel dumb.
I'm a Thurs/Friday guy too. I just bought a book of Sunday puzzles to work on before bed. Number of puzzles in that book that I've totally solved: 0.

Regarding the film it looks very entertaining to me. Lots of cameos from random celebs, politicians. I saw a brief clip which contained an interview with Jon Stewart that was very funny. I have my doubts that I'll be able to see it in theaters. The tooth to tatoo ratio here in Redding leads me to believe that it isn't much of a market for such a film.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:04 PM   #6
SteelBlue

Well, I bought a big book of NY Times puzzles which have the original dates of print on each puzzle. I've paid close attention since my last post and have learned that I overstated my skills. Non Sequitur is a Thurs/Fri guy and I am a Thursday guy at best. I've learned that Friday tends to kick my butt. Non Sequitur, I bow to your Fridayness.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:16 PM   #7
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
Well, I bought a big book of NY Times puzzles which have the original dates of print on each puzzle. I've paid close attention since my last post and have learned that I overstated my skills. Non Sequitur is a Thurs/Fri guy and I am a Thursday guy at best. I've learned that Friday tends to kick my butt. Non Sequitur, I bow to your Fridayness.
I remember the first time I ever did a NY Times crossword puzzle. I didn't realize that the puzzles got progressively harder during the week, and I happened to be doing a Monday puzzle. It was incredibly easy, along the lines of the Provo Daily Herald puzzle. Since I didn't know that the puzzles got harder throughout the week, I thought quite a lot of myself. What was all the fuss over the NY Times crossword puzzle, anyway? I went around telling people that the NY Times crosswords were overrated, that they were pretty elementary. The first time I got hold of a Sunday puzzle, my heart was broken. I was no longer the intellectual giant that I had once thought I was. It sucks when reality interferes with your delusions.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote