cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2006, 04:24 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Saw Little Miss Sunshine over the weekend

Great flick. Not what I expected. I didn't research this at all, just went out to the movies spontaneously and chose this one. For some reason I was expecting a silly comedy, ala The Office. Steve Carrel is freakin hilarious and that's what I was going for.

The movie had two great spiritual/teaching/doctrinal moments.

One very powerful scene where Carrel talks about the purpose of suffering, and implores his high school aged nephew not to want to skip out on high school because he'd miss out on some of the best suffering of his entire life.

Also, the 7 yo girl is feeling fat and ugly and asks the grandpa if he thinks she's pretty. The grandpa had been portrayed as an old perverted, selfish, bum to this point, but he says one of the most beautiful things to this girl. Something like "sweetie I'm crazy about you but I don't love you for your personality or your brain. i love you for your smoking good looks" or something like that. We as Mormons and society in general need to be better at meeting needs like this in our young people.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 04:49 PM   #2
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos
"sweetie I'm crazy about you but I don't love you for your personality or your brain. i love you for your smoking good looks"
"...and it's not because of your personality or your brains, you're beautiful..."

But you had the right idea.

[POSSIBLE SPOILER]

[Seriously]

I also love the part where the boy is sitting at the bottom of the hill after freaking out.

When Olive goes down and hugs him and he says, "ok... let's go." I thought it was particularly touching.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:53 PM   #3
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

This sounds like a Sunstone review for rated R shows. I half expected the title to read, 'Things I Learned While Watching a Rated R Movie.'
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:07 PM   #4
DirtyHippieUTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
This sounds like a Sunstone review for rated R shows. I half expected the title to read, 'Things I Learned While Watching a Rated R Movie.'
Don't worry... No self respecting LDS scholar could argue that this is an uplifting film which teaches good family values... All you need to do is listen to Grandpa's advice to the son...

[Possible Spoiler}

"F*** lots of women. Not just one. F*** lots and lots of women.... What are you, 15? You should be getting some of that young S*** that's the sweetest S***. Right now you're a minor, they're a minor; you turn 18 and that's 3-5."
Old 09-06-2006, 02:52 AM   #5
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHippieUTE
Don't worry... No self respecting LDS scholar could argue that this is an uplifting film which teaches good family values... All you need to do is listen to Grandpa's advice to the son...

[Possible Spoiler}

"F*** lots of women. Not just one. F*** lots and lots of women.... What are you, 15? You should be getting some of that young S*** that's the sweetest S***. Right now you're a minor, they're a minor; you turn 18 and that's 3-5."
dhu, are you reading this off a transcript somewhere? Link? I'd like to read the full text on the scene I referred to on suffering.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 03:03 AM   #6
DirtyHippieUTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos
dhu, are you reading this off a transcript somewhere? Link? I'd like to read the full text on the scene I referred to on suffering.
No, I just have a freakish memory for movie lines.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:54 PM   #7
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

I watched it this weekend and really enjoyed the movie.

A tad predictable, and the new format of getting established actors to play quirky roles in Sundance films is getting a little played out, but I thought the movie was entertaining.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote