cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2009, 12:35 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I think Obama made the right decision on Afghanistan

I think he looked at the choices, and it was clear that withdrawing was not a tenable policy, as long as their is a realistic hope that the tide can be turned.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:08 PM   #2
Zulu451
house-elf 3rd class

Zulu451 is on a distinguished road

I must confess mixed emotions about this one.

first off, I think it is the right thing to do. If we can gain grounds with security, the people will kick the Taliban out for good. If we can show them that we are committed to winning the war. That said, why did it take him 3 months to decide this?

He waits, drags his heels for 3 months and then wants it done in 6. Being here right now, I can tell you that we do not have the logistical footprint in Afghanistan and the staging areas (Kuwait and Kyrgistan) to move that kind of volume into theater in 6 months.

Which brings me to my other concern. The easiest way to increase troop strength in that time frame is not to just bring in new guys but leave the ones you have. What this means to someone who is looking at going home in 3 months is a mystery at this time. I will not be surprised to see my life rattled quit a bit in the next few months.

As long as I am in Chicago to take my certification exam in april and in Boston in July 1 I am all good.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Stop-loss order. Yes, a few of those might go down.

Boston sucks anyway. Too many liberals, and too cold.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

It's a tough spot for Obama because:

1. The left doesn't support it.
2. But he campaigned on it, so reversing himself would look bad
3. All his choices are bad. Staying is bad. But leaving now would be worse. Good chance it will politically hurt him.
4. Americans that support the war don't support him. Even if he does very well, they will vote for the opponent (GOP), believing that the GOP guy would do better anyway.

Why did Obama take so long? Did he have his finger to the wind? Was he trying to build political support with Congress and the left? Was he putting pressure on Karzai and Pakistan to make concessions? It's hard to say.

I didn't hear his speech, but it sounds like from what I have heard, that he has left himself a lot of outs to not start backing the numbers down when he said he would like to.

I'm sure it is very tough on soldiers and families when they don't return when they thought they would (not to mention, never returning alive at all). We have a lot of dedicated men and women that are putting a lot on the line. Let's hope they are successful and get home soon.