cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2006, 11:42 PM   #1
The Borg

The Borg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New "United States Cycling Tour" idea

Wouldn't it be cool if there was a "Tour of the United States" cycling event.

And at periodic times throughout the year, each state would have a:
"Tour of Utah" or "Tour of Idaho", "Tour of Texas" etc.

A team could enter in as many tours as deemed necessary. However, once a team has won, then they can no longer participate in a state tour.

The winning teams of each state tour, would compete in the "United States Cycling Tour Championship".

One massive cycling tour across much of the U.S. ...how cool would that be.
The Borg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 12:18 AM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I would get a couple of friends and wait until the last scheduled race, after 49 other deserving teams had won a state race, so my frineds and I, dressed in cut offs and tank tops (I loathe the term wife-beater)and riding our vintage scwhinn flyers could then take our chances against the flotsam and jetsam that was left to race. Maybe you could have the state tours in order of admission to the union, so we could race in Hawaii. Sure, we'd get killed in the national race, but we'd have a haleakala time in the state race.

On a serious note, and assuming you are talking about a professional bike event, there is not nearly enough time in the pro calendar to have a series like this.

Last edited by creekster; 07-07-2006 at 04:13 AM.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:16 AM   #3
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
so my frineds and I, dressed in cut offs and tank tops (I loathe the term wife-beater)and riding our vintage scwhinn flyers could then take our chances against the flotsam and jetsam that was left to race.
You could call yourself "The Cutters".

On a serious note, I like idea of a US Tour a la the TDF. One that takes in as many states as possible in a 3 week period.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:29 AM   #4
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I was jazzed when they announced the Tour of California. If they pick a different course in the future, it has the potential for being a very good race. The tour of Utah is gaining credibility and should be much better this year from what I understand. Georgia is already somewhat respected across the cycling community. There is also a Pennsylvania tour that is widely attended by American pro riders. There may be others that I am unfamiliar with.

Have you been to North Dakota? How about South Dakota? The tour of New Jersey??? I wouldn't exactly say it has a nice ring to it. You could probably add a couple of states to the mix, but I doubt all 50 would work.

I like the idea of the Tour of the US. Logistically, there could be a problem with travel and timing, but it could be an awesome event with the right people and groups supporting it.

A couple of stages to consider:

- Yellowstone park into eastern Idaho, over teton pass and then a screaming descent into Jackson Hole.

- Climb from Sacramento up highway 50 into South Lake tahoe.

- Portland, Oregon down Highway 1 to Crescent City CA.

- Anywhere along Highway 1 for that matter.

- Butte Montana up to Glacier Natl park.

- Throw in some sprints across the Kansas plains or through the South Dakota Badlands just for fun.

- Make em get off the road for long enough to ride the ride rock of Moab or Arches Natl park.

Any other ideas???
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:31 AM   #5
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
You could call yourself "The Cutters".

On a serious note, I like idea of a US Tour a la the TDF. One that takes in as many states as possible in a 3 week period.
That is EXACTLY what i was thinking of, but decided that Borg sounded too young to know that film.

USA is too big for a nationwide tour. Plus, I am selfish, so I think we stick with the tour of californai and then, oince it is established, every year we can have the prologue and maybe the first stage in some other region to add variety, but we always need to have at least opne stage start or finish near me so I can get some cool swag as a volunteer.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:33 AM   #6
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose
I was jazzed when they announced the Tour of California. If they pick a different course in the future, it has the potential for being a very good race. The tour of Utah is gaining credibility and should be much better this year from what I understand. Georgia is already somewhat respected across the cycling community. There is also a Pennsylvania tour that is widely attended by American pro riders. There may be others that I am unfamiliar with.

Have you been to North Dakota? How about South Dakota? The tour of New Jersey??? I wouldn't exactly say it has a nice ring to it. You could probably add a couple of states to the mix, but I doubt all 50 would work.

I like the idea of the Tour of the US. Logistically, there could be a problem with travel and timing, but it could be an awesome event with the right people and groups supporting it.

A couple of stages to consider:

- Yellowstone park into eastern Idaho, over teton pass and then a screaming descent into Jackson Hole.

- Climb from Sacramento up highway 50 into South Lake tahoe.

- Portland, Oregon down Highway 1 to Crescent City CA.

- Anywhere along Highway 1 for that matter.

- Butte Montana up to Glacier Natl park.

- Throw in some sprints across the Kansas plains or through the South Dakota Badlands just for fun.

- Make em get off the road for long enough to ride the ride rock of Moab or Arches Natl park.

Any other ideas???
An ITT up Mount Diablo in the SF East Bay. 3000 plus elevation gain in ~11 miles. See, no need to go to other states. Just keep it all right here, by my house.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:39 AM   #7
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose

Any other ideas???
I dig the Yellowstone stage. A U.S. tour could be absolutely amazing.

How about a stage that runs partway around the Grand Canyon? Can you picture the peloton rolling past the red rocks in 116 heat?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote