cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2008, 09:58 PM   #11
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Is the LDS Church's support for Proposition 8 harming its chances of succeeding? If I were running things I'd ask the question because I think that's very possible. I can see a lot of people, especially undecideds, being repelled by Mormon support for Proposition 8, and thereby turned to support it. Especially those aware of Mormonism's sordid civil rights history might get the heebee jeebies being on the Mormons' side, particularly in California. I wonder if Proposition 8 opponents are bothered by Mormon support for it. It seems to me this may all be very counterproductive, indeed alienate a lot of reflective Mormons. Mormonism may be giving Proposition 8 opponents a huge gift, becuase Mormonism has 0 credibility in this field. On the contrary.

My view, for what it's worth, is that Mormonism is doing itself a lot of damage here that will take a long time to repair, if ever. It's happened before. All you who care about Mormonism, this may not just be a matter of conscience, this may be a matter bearing on the long term vitality of the institution. This is opening up a lot of unhealed wounds. This may be the real nightmare scenario. Remember this post.
Whenever I talk to people about the church I get struck over and over again by the fact that we (and apparently you) imagine our profile to be several orders of magnitude above what it is in reality. Most people don't know who we are, much about us, don't care to and never will. Even if there were some kind of rebound effect I think it would be microscopic.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:54 PM   #12
Gidget

Gidget is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Whenever I talk to people about the church I get struck over and over again by the fact that we (and apparently you) imagine our profile to be several orders of magnitude above what it is in reality. Most people don't know who we are, much about us, don't care to and never will. Even if there were some kind of rebound effect I think it would be microscopic.
Agreed, the rebound effect certainly wouldn't reach the deep corners of the world, and most likely the effect, would be similar to how people in the church (or who know the church, or members of it) feel now about polygamy (when it was instituted) or blacks in the priesthood now. I don't feel like Prop 8 will have catastrophic effects on the world as we know it. And the work rolls on, slow and steady . . . .
I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PaloAltoCougar
Gidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:42 AM   #13
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Is the LDS Church's support for Proposition 8 harming its chances of succeeding? If I were running things I'd ask the question because I think that's very possible. I can see a lot of people, especially undecideds, being repelled by Mormon support for Proposition 8, and thereby turned to support it. Especially those aware of Mormonism's sordid civil rights history might get the heebee jeebies being on the Mormons' side, particularly in California. I wonder if Proposition 8 opponents are bothered by Mormon support for it. It seems to me this may all be very counterproductive, indeed alienate a lot of reflective Mormons. Mormonism may be giving Proposition 8 opponents a huge gift, becuase Mormonism has 0 credibility in this field. On the contrary.

My view, for what it's worth, is that Mormonism is doing itself a lot of damage here that will take a long time to repair, if ever. It's happened before. All you who care about Mormonism, this may not just be a matter of conscience, this may be a matter bearing on the long term vitality of the institution. This is opening up a lot of unhealed wounds. This may be the real nightmare scenario. Remember this post.
Remember when the LDS Church pushed for it's members to vote against the ERA?

The church is still around despite that and even stronger today than in the 70s.

You're wishful thinking will have no effect.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote