cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2008, 02:00 PM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Darn those Russians

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,700243305,00.html
Old 07-15-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Someone in the article as quoted that this might be a good thing, it might have a silver lining.

Well, let me tell you about my experience of going back to my mission 4 years later. And the missionaries had been pulled out. And the chapel that was dedicated, in some ways a culmination of my missionary efforts (as well as others), was decaying among the weeds.

No silver lining there.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Does anyone else find the thought of a bunch of Russian-speaking missionaries tracting in Prague a little funny?

Grant Lundberg, the head of the German studies program at BYU, was quoted in the article. Interesting--he grew up in my ward, fluent in multiple languages in high school, and was the Utah Sterling Scholar in foreign languages. His mission call? North Carolina. It's good to read that he kept up his language skills.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Does anyone else find the thought of a bunch of Russian-speaking missionaries tracting in Prague a little funny?
I did. Kind of funny and pathetic at the same time. I wonder who had that bright idea.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

We need Travis Hansen to get involved.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:16 PM   #6
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post

Grant Lundberg, the head of the German studies program at BYU, was quoted in the article. Interesting--he grew up in my ward, fluent in multiple languages in high school, and was the Utah Sterling Scholar in foreign languages. His mission call? North Carolina. It's good to read that he kept up his language skills.
I'm sure they are basically just tagging along with the local missionaries. I traveled to Prague along with a bunch of other places in Europe after my mission in Ukraine (Russian-speaking). Only the numbers in Czech were close enough to Russian for me to understand and be understood.

I had to leave Belarus for Vilnius, Lithuania a few times to renew my Visa. It was pretty much a vacation and it was fun. And in Lithuania everybody understood our Russian at least. Most of the people in Lithuania I talked with spoke Russian about as well as the missionaries -- even made some of the same grammar mistakes.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote