cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2008, 03:39 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My aunt attended church for the 1st time in 20 years

today. And the report I got back was that someone chided her after the meeting for taking the sacrament with her left hand, and not her right hand.

In other news, I brought a nonmember kid to church today, he has been going for a little while now. The granddaughter of the bishop, when the teacher stepped out, turned out the lights and slapped the kid in the eye. Only for me to find him sobbing in the bathroom. They are 11.

I see our reactivation efforts are going like gangbusters.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:23 AM   #2
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

One of President Hinckley's greatest sermons as prophet was the story about the young man he taught on his mission who got baptized. After President Hinckley left the area, the young man was assigned to teach a lesson at church; a surly member criticized the new member for some trivial matter. The new member, offended, never came back to church. President Hinckley exchanged letters with this man until his friend passed away; it was one of the greatest regrets of his life, President Hinckley said, that this man never came back to the Church.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:52 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
You are kidding. Right?
I wish I was.

Fortunately my aunt told her that it didn't matter which hand she took the sacrament with.

Also, during Sunday School, they started bashing on other religions, and my aunt piped up and said we ought not do that, if we don't want other religions bashing us.

I think my aunt can probably handle herself.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

The theme is month is parenting repsonsibility in our ward. I don't know if that is a church wide theme or just our ward.

The speaker chose to have his kids talk on what the parents had done right or wrong. These were grown kids with kids of their own. They gave excellent talks. Example was what wrang true to me. The parents had set good examples and from all I could tell had some very active kids with strong testimonies.

I did find it interesting that one of the girls did mention that her father worked very hard to make sure the mother never had to work and she is greatful her husband does the same in order that they can follow what the prophets are telling us to do.

I am quite proud of myself for not focusing on that and focusing on the good points of the talks given.

However, I do think at times with the wrong attitude we can be sitting out their in the audience and get offended as some members let other members know they aren't following the counsel of the prophets.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:14 PM   #5
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
The theme is month is parenting repsonsibility in our ward. I don't know if that is a church wide theme or just our ward.

The speaker chose to have his kids talk on what the parents had done right or wrong. These were grown kids with kids of their own. They gave excellent talks. Example was what wrang true to me. The parents had set good examples and from all I could tell had some very active kids with strong testimonies.

I did find it interesting that one of the girls did mention that her father worked very hard to make sure the mother never had to work and she is greatful her husband does the same in order that they can follow what the prophets are telling us to do.

I am quite proud of myself for not focusing on that and focusing on the good points of the talks given.

However, I do think at times with the wrong attitude we can be sitting out their in the audience and get offended as some members let other members know they aren't following the counsel of the prophets.
It is not a Church-wide theme.

The theme for the foreseeable future in California is Proposition 8....Sacrament, Sunday School, and P/RS.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote