cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2008, 05:07 PM   #1
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Who has read Life of Pi?

I was entertained by the book and have my theories on the symbolism of each of the animals that wasn't offered as an explanation at the end of the book.

Has anyone else read it? Want some discussion?
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:13 PM   #2
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
I was entertained by the book and have my theories on the symbolism of each of the animals that wasn't offered as an explanation at the end of the book.

Has anyone else read it? Want some discussion?
This is the second recommendation I have heard (I assume). I may have to go get it now.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:14 PM   #3
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

I really liked the book; I thought it was moving, and I didn't see the last ten pages coming at all, so it hit me like a shock, and drove home the theme pretty deep such that I thought about it for weeks afterwards. As the blurb on the cover said, it really was a book that would make you believe in God; that is, in the idea of God or why humans would want it.

I don't think the Martel's point was to inspire faith. His main theme, I think, was that each religion has the same purpose, which is to provide meaning to an otherwise brutal and short existence. The ecumenical themes in the first chapters drove home this point, and then the sparse survivalism of the rest of the book underscored the raw materials with which all religions work and to which they all try to give meaning and purpose.

I don't remember the individual characters well enough to talk symbolism of each; I just remember what I said above, mostly.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:19 PM   #4
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought it was a great book as well. WE listened to it on a books on tape during a family vacation adn all of us from my youngest at about 9 on up enjoyed it on several levels. It has been too long for me to talk about it in much detail, but I would enjoy reading others' thoughts.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:38 PM   #5
Mrs. Funk

Mrs. Funk is on a distinguished road

I thought it was a great book. I thought the narrative-style storytelling exactly fit the book and I loved the ending (I, too, did not see it coming). Has Yann Martel written anything since Life of Pi?
Mrs. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote