cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2008, 08:02 PM   #1
woot

woot is on a distinguished road
Default Religious objection to nanotechnology

Nanotechnology is immoral?

http://www.physorg.com/news122309388.html

This article is very short on details and I'm not sure I like their conclusions, but does anyone here have any objections to nanotechnology, religious or otherwise? I'm drawing a blank trying to figure out how even the extremely pious could find religious motivation for rejecting nanotechnology.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe some over-zealous freaks believe it to be immoral, but I really doubt that anyone objects to nanotechnology.

Of course, folks love to use the most extreme examples of the opposing view to prove that those who don't agree are complete idiots, so I don't take any news like this seriously.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:41 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

actually, nanotechnology is a hot area in medical ethics, so the notion that it is completely uncontroversial is extremely incorrect.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:11 PM   #4
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
actually, nanotechnology is a hot area in medical ethics, so the notion that it is completely uncontroversial is extremely incorrect.
Why is it controversial, Mike? I don't get it.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:19 PM   #5
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

The article only gives this explanation:

Quote:
The catch for Americans with strong religious convictions, Scheufele believes, is that nanotechnology, biotechnology and stem cell research are lumped together as means to enhance human qualities. In short, researchers are viewed as "playing God" when they create materials that do not occur in nature, especially where nanotechnology and biotechnology intertwine, says Scheufele.
which seems pretty weak. I would be interested in hearing the logic explained in more detail. Too bad aaronshaf has burned his bridges. This would be a good role for him to play.

And I will do my best to avoid commenting on the high number of boob jobs in the bible belt. I will leave that to goatnapper.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:37 PM   #6
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

I'm fine with nanotechnology.

It's picotechnology that really chaps my hide.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:47 AM   #7
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

If this article was trying to discuss potential applications of nanotechnology that includes brain/body implants, that makes sense. That didn't seem to be the case though, as if there were something in the very nature of nanotechnology that is against peoples' religion. That would certainly be news to me. A religion that says that your pocket computer must be so big or else you risk damnation would be humorous, but I doubt there is any such belief.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote