cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2008, 05:23 PM   #1
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road
Default Dem projections & good news for GOP

Official projections from the campaigns are that Barack and Hillary will be roughly one hundred votes apart - one way or the other - come convention time. With four hundred SuperDelegates undecided, this means that - as Cali indicated the other day - the nomination will be left in the hands of the SuperDelegates.

Conventional wisdom is that the Dems would go with Hillary in that scenario. BUT, if the state-appointed delegates are favoring Obama (and this is looking likely), it would be awfully hard for them to justify allowing the S-Delegates to overturn the vote. For them to do so would undermine the legitimacy of the nominee, and create a lot of ill will toward the party. Plus, it's downright un-"Democratic."

The good news for the GOP is that while their candidate will have been determined, strategizing, and (hopefully) garnering support for nearly six months; the Dems are facing a situation in which their nominee will quite likely be determined at the last minute by a rather contentious series of un(?)fortunate events.

The Dems will come out looking muddled, confused, and divided. The GOP, oddly enough, has a chance to come out looking like a veritable bastion of unification and solidarity.

Either way, I imagine the Dem convention this year could be the most entertaining in decades.

I still can't help feeling this is like trying to predict the BCS.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:33 PM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Official projections from the campaigns are that Barack and Hillary will be roughly one hundred votes apart - one way or the other - come convention time. With four hundred SuperDelegates undecided, this means that - as Cali indicated the other day - the nomination will be left in the hands of the SuperDelegates.

Conventional wisdom is that the Dems would go with Hillary in that scenario. BUT, if the state-appointed delegates are favoring Obama (and this is looking likely), it would be awfully hard for them to justify allowing the S-Delegates to overturn the vote. For them to do so would undermine the legitimacy of the nominee, and create a lot of ill will toward the party. Plus, it's downright un-"Democratic."

The good news for the GOP is that while their candidate will have been determined, strategizing, and (hopefully) garnering support for nearly six months; the Dems are facing a situation in which their nominee will quite likely be determined at the last minute by a rather contentious series of un(?)fortunate events.

The Dems will come out looking muddled, confused, and divided. The GOP, oddly enough, has a chance to come out looking like a veritable bastion of unification and solidarity.

Either way, I imagine the Dem convention this year could be the most entertaining in decades.

Let blood rivers flow in the streets.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:46 PM   #3
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

I am not entirely convinced anymore it will be a drawn out process. The superdelegates, as you know, are free to change their vote at any time- whether they have committed now or not. If Obama continues winning states with 60% of the vote (which he is expected to do again today in each of the Potomac primaries), it will be really hard for Clinton to stay in this thing. The pressure on her will be immense to get out of the race if she loses state after state.

Texas must be her firewall state. If she loses Texas (still unlikely, but a growing possibility), I don't see how she can stay in. That would be her 9th consecutive loss (with at least 4 being blowouts and 3 more blowouts projected today). She would have to push her firewall to Ohio, but at that point she is running out of states, and it would be virtually impossible for her to overcome Obama barring a complete collapse in his campaign.

While it may come down to superdelegates, their vote will be heavily influenced by who is leading and who their state voted for (as you noted). It would be tough for Clinton to win in that situation.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:57 PM   #4
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I
Texas must be her firewall state. If she loses Texas (still unlikely, but a growing possibility), I don't see how she can stay in. That would be her 9th consecutive loss (with at least 4 being blowouts and 3 more blowouts projected today). She would have to push her firewall to Ohio, but at that point she is running out of states, and it would be virtually impossible for her to overcome Obama barring a complete collapse in his campaign.
I thoughtTexas and Ohio primaries were on the same date.
I think its WAY too soon to predict some sort of stalement that goes until the convention. One or the other will see the handwriting well before that.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:11 PM   #5
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
I
I think its WAY too soon to predict some sort of stalemate that goes until the convention. One or the other will see the handwriting well before that.
That would be true if the states were winner take all. It does appear that Obama will win at least seven states in a row. (Even the Obama campaign isn't projecting a win in Texas, they're hoping for a close loss.) But these are Democrats and the process is so...Democratic. With Obama/Hillary splitting everything about 55/45, it's looking like, including the currently designated Superdelegates, it won't be more than a 200 vote swing either way. Likely, less than one hundred. So there just is no handwriting on the wall.

Now, if the Party were smart, then, like Cali suggests, they'd take some sort of pre-emptive action to keep this from dragging out. They'd see that Obama has won the popular vote from the get-go, and they'd start lobbying SuperDelegates to move their support to him. But these are the Clintons we're talking about. I just don't see that happening.

-

Cali: I agree with your bottom line. While conventional wisdom dictated that the Superdelegates would go with Hillary, I think it's becoming more likely that once the people have spoken - even if it's for Obama - the S-Delegates won't risk going against the popular vote.

BUT, unless the Party starts planning now, I still see this lasting right up to the convention and giving the GOP a huge head start heading into the GE.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:20 PM   #6
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

In another piece of interesting news, David Freddoso examines party primary turnout.

Quote:
In the open election of 1988, 23 million Democrats voted in primaries, as did 12 million Republicans. Yes, you're reading that correctly. Nearly twice as many Democrats voted. That was a precursor to President Michael Dukakis's election.

In 1980, Democrats actually had an incumbent president, who was challenged by Ted Kennedy. Republicans, meanwhile, had a competitive primary between Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush. Democrats cast 16.1 million votes in their primaries that year, compared to just (corrected) 12.7 million for Republicans. We all know what happened in Jimmy Carter's second term, don't we?
Interesting read. It's a sad state of affairs that I have to take solace in such analysis, but when the excitement on the Dem side so far exceeds that on the Repub side, I'll take what I can get.

http://corner.nationalreview.com/pos...BlN2NlODA3ZTg=

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 02-12-2008 at 08:37 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:34 PM   #7
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That would be true if the states were winner take all. It does appear that Obama will win at least seven states in a row. (Even the Obama campaign isn't projecting a win in Texas, they're hoping for a close loss.) But these are Democrats and the process is so...Democratic. With Obama/Hillary splitting everything about 55/45, it's looking like, including the currently designated Superdelegates, it won't be more than a 200 vote swing either way. Likely, less than one hundred. So there just is no handwriting on the wall.

BUT, unless the Party starts planning now, I still see this lasting right up to the convention and giving the GOP a huge head start heading into the GE.
But even if it takes all the primaries to determine who will have the most committed delegates, the primaries are over on June 7. The convention is not until August.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:10 PM   #8
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
But even if it takes all the primaries to determine who will have the most committed delegates, the primaries are over on June 7. The convention is not until August.
Hm. Perhaps you're not understanding me.

Although the state delegate count will be determined in June, the margin will be so small that - barring intervention on the part of the Party - the process will drag on through the convention. We're talking about Barack and Hillary, not Mitt. Nobody's going to be stepping down for the sake of Party and Country here. Not unless the Dem Party itself forces the issue (which, personally, I'm thinking they're going to have to do).

Perhaps I've got a cynical view of the two central characters involved, but that's my take.