cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2008, 05:32 PM   #51
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
And primary teachers, even female, are supposed to have partners, presumably to guard against charges of inappropriate behavior.
I have never heard this. I always heard a woman, a couple or two men could teach a class but never a male alone.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:08 AM   #52
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
I have never heard this. I always heard a woman, a couple or two men could teach a class but never a male alone.
Maybe it's local, but I am a primary teacher with a female partner. I'd rather not have a partner for various reasons, so I asked the stake primary pres why they did that, and she told me it was the policy, based on the aforementioned reason and a couple of others. Last time I taught primary was in CHicago 10 years ago, and I similarly had another female partner.

But all that is beside the point, anyway. And plus, in practical terms, teachers end of alone with the kids sometimes regardless of whether the teacher is male or female.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:11 AM   #53
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not a policy from the First Presidency, I don't think, to always have two teachers.

We don't. And we couldn't. Well, I take that back. We could. But there would be 3 women attending gospel doctrine and 6 women attending relief society.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:05 AM   #54
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
I don't remember the exact wording, but this policy did come down from the First Presidency maybe a year or so ago, as it concerns primary and youth classes. I believe clarification was later issued that depending on need, exceptions could be made by keeping the door cracked, meeting in rooms with windows in the door, etc.

But that is most certainly the general policy.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:53 AM   #55
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

The policy is that a man is teaching primary must have either his spouse teaching with him or another man. A woman can teach alone.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote