cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2008, 01:40 AM   #1
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Farnsworth Invention--BYU Alum almost makes good

I just returned from helping Princess Three (the musician) move to Manhattan. While there, we saw four Broadway shows, including three musicals: Curtains (a comedy starring David Hyde Pierce who is really good), Spamalot (for the second time, and it’s still funny), and Legally Blonde (I agreed to go as a concession to the women in my entourage). But my favorite experience was The Farnsworth Invention, the story of the battle between Philo Farnsworth and David Sarnoff (the head of RCA, NBC and essentially the father of broadcasting in the U.S.). Farnsworth was an LDS kid who attended BYU and who dreamed up the concept of television as a 14 year-old while (and as a result of)vplowing a potato field in Rigby, Idaho.

Written by Aaron Sorkin (West Wing, The American President, Charlie Wilson’s War, etc.), the dialogue is crisp, if occasionally a bit too clever. Sarnoff is played by Hank Azaria who uses a gruff accent—and sounds a lot like Moe Szyslak.

Sarnoff was pretty ruthless in the way he essentially stole Farnsworth’s idea, and Farnsworth lost a patent fight due to his own naivete. Farnsworth died a drunk and broken man, despite his obvious genius. The play notes that he was working on a clean fuel alternative (hydrogen fusion) that might have been successful but for his personal problems.

The play isn’t perfect (the NY Times noted it’s like sitting through a stage presentation of a Wikipedia article), but it’s informative, entertaining and presents a very sympathetic view of a flawed BYU alum. BYU ought to buy the rights to perform it on campus, although the ample use of the mother of all profanities (including from his Provo backers), Farnsworth’s mild mocking of his more devout wife’s faith, and his descent into alcoholism might be a problem.

If you’re in NYC, go see it; it’s a lot better than Legally Blonde.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:30 AM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
I just returned from helping Princess Three (the musician) move to Manhattan. While there, we saw four Broadway shows, including three musicals: Curtains (a comedy starring David Hyde Pierce who is really good), Spamalot (for the second time, and it’s still funny), and Legally Blonde (I agreed to go as a concession to the women in my entourage). But my favorite experience was The Farnsworth Invention, the story of the battle between Philo Farnsworth and David Sarnoff (the head of RCA, NBC and essentially the father of broadcasting in the U.S.). Farnsworth was an LDS kid who attended BYU and who dreamed up the concept of television as a 14 year-old while (and as a result of)vplowing a potato field in Rigby, Idaho.

Written by Aaron Sorkin (West Wing, The American President, Charlie Wilson’s War, etc.), the dialogue is crisp, if occasionally a bit too clever. Sarnoff is played by Hank Azaria who uses a gruff accent—and sounds a lot like Moe Szyslak.

Sarnoff was pretty ruthless in the way he essentially stole Farnsworth’s idea, and Farnsworth lost a patent fight due to his own naivete. Farnsworth died a drunk and broken man, despite his obvious genius. The play notes that he was working on a clean fuel alternative (hydrogen fusion) that might have been successful but for his personal problems.

The play isn’t perfect (the NY Times noted it’s like sitting through a stage presentation of a Wikipedia article), but it’s informative, entertaining and presents a very sympathetic view of a flawed BYU alum. BYU ought to buy the rights to perform it on campus, although the ample use of the mother of all profanities (including from his Provo backers), Farnsworth’s mild mocking of his more devout wife’s faith, and his descent into alcoholism might be a problem.

If you’re in NYC, go see it; it’s a lot better than Legally Blonde.
I have found it interesting over time how Utah, Idaho and San Francsico all claim Farnsworth as their own. One might get th eimpression that he was inventing the TV for an awfully long time and in many places.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:35 AM   #3
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I have found it interesting over time how Utah, Idaho and San Francsico all claim Farnsworth as their own. One might get th eimpression that he was inventing the TV for an awfully long time and in many places.
He is an Idahoan. There is a sign in Rigby and by golly it was while planting spud rows that he got his inspiration. Moral of the story is we need to keep our best and brightest in the field before they can be corrupted by big city living.

If there was going to be a mormon inventor, I don't think I could pick a more stereotypical name than Philo T. Farnsworth.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:13 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
He is an Idahoan. There is a sign in Rigby and by golly it was while planting spud rows that he got his inspiration. Moral of the story is we need to keep our best and brightest in the field before they can be corrupted by big city living.

If there was going to be a mormon inventor, I don't think I could pick a more stereotypical name than Philo T. Farnsworth.
This is cool. Someone on utefans posted this the other day:

I thought it was hilarious that Philo won a carton of smokes.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote