cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 04:51 PM   #1
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dexter

Man, if you haven't had a chance to watch this show on Showtime (or rent it thru Blockbuster or Neflix), it is fabulous. I just finished watching it on DVD and it was highly entertaining.

It is about a Miami forensic guy (he tracks the blood splatter in murders to determine trajectory, etc.). He is also a serial killer. He kills a lot of people but these people are all bad people (other killers, rapists, etc.). He has no emotion and has spent all of his life faking being normal so that he fit in. It is fabulous, chilling and tough and very good. http://www.amazon.com/Dexter-First-S...9183879&sr=8-1
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:05 PM   #2
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road

I've tried it. It's too creepy for me.

Good acting and writing though

-- Ken Loach
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:09 PM   #3
UteStar

To be honest, the first episode was the toughest. After that, it lightens up a bit but still keeps things intense. It is amazing how you actually like Dexter. My wife ended up not watching the first episode after a few minutes, she start watching again around episode 3 and watched and enjoyed the rest of the season. It is a different kind of premise and you are right, the acting (Michael C. Hall from 6 Feet Under is Dexter) is very good as well as the writing.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:04 PM   #4
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I just finished watching the first season on DVD.....I kept holding off because I wasn't too sure about watching a TV Show about a Serial Killer....but have to admit in a bizarre way I was completely entertained.

Michael C. Hall is a very good actor...I'm surprised he hasn't made it more mainstream into Hollywood movies yet.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 11-07-2007 at 05:51 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:42 PM   #5
UteStar

I am telling you, it is a fabulous show. Dexter, the character, is mesmerizing. I do not get Showtime (though YOhio says that late night programming on Showtime and Cinemax is terrific, I guess I will have to trust him on that), but I will get the second season on dvd when it comes out sometime in the Spring.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:00 PM   #6
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
Man, if you haven't had a chance to watch this show on Showtime (or rent it thru Blockbuster or Neflix), it is fabulous. I just finished watching it on DVD and it was highly entertaining.

It is about a Miami forensic guy (he tracks the blood splatter in murders to determine trajectory, etc.). He is also a serial killer. He kills a lot of people but these people are all bad people (other killers, rapists, etc.). He has no emotion and has spent all of his life faking being normal so that he fit in. It is fabulous, chilling and tough and very good. http://www.amazon.com/Dexter-First-S...9183879&sr=8-1
I think if I were going to be a serial killer, that's the kind of serial killer I would probably want to be. Except I would want emotion, because birthdays make me really happy.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:46 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I watched the pilot. I have to say, that it was a little bit too gruesome and dark for me.

Is the pilot representative of the other episodes?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 06:25 PM   #8
UteStar

No, the pilot is darker than the other episodes. It still is not a gentle show, but the pilot was the toughest by far.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #9
UteStar

FWIW, CBS has picked up 'Dexter' to be on network television. Yes, they will have to edit it a lot and yes, I will be watching it again: http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/ent...mes-dexte.html

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."