cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2007, 05:28 PM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Rescue Dawn

I rented this DVD last week:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462504/

It is directed by Werner Herzog and is based on a true story about a US Navy pilot shot down over Laos who was a POW and then escaped. I believe he was the only US POW in the Viet Nam War to successfully escape.

I am big fan of true stories, especially when the filmmakers go the extra mile to stay true to the historical account, as they did in this case. It is a remarkable story. Highly recommended.

There was some superb acting in this film. As the story progresses, the characters lose weight and become much thinner. I wondered how this was done, since that is more than a camera trick. I did a little research and found that the main actors lost weight before the film and they then filmed the movie in reverse. Over the six weeks or so of the filming, they ate rich food so as to gain weight quickly. It is amazing how much weight they lost for this film. Especially Jeremy Davies:

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/04625...th_key=0462504

He went above and beyond the call of duty. The producers were concerned that he lost too much weight and his health was in danger, but he (and the others) insisted that he wanted to do it out of respect for the POWs.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:33 PM   #2
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I rented this DVD last week:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462504/

It is directed by Werner Herzog and is based on a true story about a US Navy pilot shot down over Laos who was a POW and then escaped. I believe he was the only US POW in the Viet Nam War to successfully escape.

I am big fan of true stories, especially when the filmmakers go the extra mile to stay true to the historical account, as they did in this case. It is a remarkable story. Highly recommended.

There was some superb acting in this film. As the story progresses, the characters lose weight and become much thinner. I wondered how this was done, since that is more than a camera trick. I did a little research and found that the main actors lost weight before the film and they then filmed the movie in reverse. Over the six weeks or so of the filming, they ate rich food so as to gain weight quickly. It is amazing how much weight they lost for this film. Especially Jeremy Davies:

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/04625...th_key=0462504

He went above and beyond the call of duty. The producers were concerned that he lost too much weight and his health was in danger, but he (and the others) insisted that he wanted to do it out of respect for the POWs.
I liked it too. But for some reason, I couldn't buy into the acting of the dude who just played Batman (can't remember his name). He seemed too phony for me. Davies was phenomenal.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:42 PM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I liked it too. But for some reason, I couldn't buy into the acting of the dude who just played Batman (can't remember his name). He seemed too phony for me. Davies was phenomenal.
Christian Bale.

I know what you mean. He seemed far too upbeat given the circumstances. But apparently that is an accurate portrayal of the real character. He was friendly to his captors and somehow maintained hope through the entire experience.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:27 PM   #4
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Great movie.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:28 PM   #5
ThatSportsFan

ThatSportsFan

Yes it was a amazing show. I felt really bad for the guy that ended up staying with Christian Bale.
ThatSportsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 06:29 PM   #6
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSportsFan View Post
Yes it was a amazing show. I felt really bad for the guy that ended up staying with Christian Bale.
Steve Zahn turns in a surprisingly good performance.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:31 PM   #7
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Very good movie and great performances all around.

One of the more underated movies of the past year that deserves more attention than it got.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:08 PM   #8
ThatSportsFan

ThatSportsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
Steve Zahn turns in a surprisingly good performance.
I know. I saw that he was on the show and the first thing that came to my mind was Saving Silverman. He did a excellent job.
ThatSportsFan is offline   Reply With Quote