cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2007, 04:55 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Bronco and leaving BYU

This UCLA story is getting some traction. I don't know if it's legit or if the media especially talk radio just wants something to talk about. You can blame the bowls for that. We should be talking about the awesome playoff games going on right now.

There are plenty of reasons Bronco would never leave BYU. There are also plenty of reasons Bronco would leave. It's irrational to say there are no reasons for staying or for going when faced with a great offer to leave. It's also pretty irrational to say someone knows for sure what Bronco would do. I imagine Bronco may not be totally sure himself. And certainly he's not sure what he would do say three years from now.

Reasons to stay

1. $1M is enough
2. Family likes Utah county
3. Family wants stability in where they live
4. Church relationship
5. Loves BYU as an institution
6. Avoid risk of getting fired at the next job

Reasons to leave

1. $
2. Wants chance to attain higher goal--national championship, more spotlight
3. Parlay into an NFL job if that's what he might want
4. Doesn't feel appreciated--fan and booster expectations are too high
5. Relationships with bosses go bad

I can tell you I'm almost certain if I had Bronco's job I would never leave BYU, but I'm alumni and a fan and have more roots in Utah County, and probably more financially conservative.

Bottom line, it's silly to claim with certainty that he either WILL or SHOULD do one or the other.

I kinda believe he's likely to stay for a long time but I don't really know.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:08 PM   #2
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

It's only getting traction here in Utah.

Bronco's name isn't mentioned in any of the 3 Los Angeles Papers today.

It's nothing.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:10 PM   #3
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
This UCLA story is getting some traction. I don't know if it's legit or if the media especially talk radio just wants something to talk about. You can blame the bowls for that. We should be talking about the awesome playoff games going on right now.

There are plenty of reasons Bronco would never leave BYU. There are also plenty of reasons Bronco would leave. It's irrational to say there are no reasons for staying or for going when faced with a great offer to leave. It's also pretty irrational to say someone knows for sure what Bronco would do. I imagine Bronco may not be totally sure himself. And certainly he's not sure what he would do say three years from now.

Reasons to stay

1. $1M is enough
4. Church relationship

Reasons to leave

1. $

I can tell you I'm almost certain if I had Bronco's job I would never leave BYU, but I'm alumni and a fan and have more roots in Utah County, and probably more financially conservative.

Bottom line, it's silly to claim with certainty that he either WILL or SHOULD do one or the other.

Bronco is a bit of an old fashioned chivalric type. He just is. He ain't like most of us. What I mean by that is that I don't think the prestige and glory from winning national championships is what fires him up. There is no doubt he is a competitor and wants to win it all, but there are aspects of being the BYU HC that I think a guy like Bronco probably values as highly as being the coach of the National Champions. Further, coaching at such a program brings some stress and instability that I doubt Holly and Bronco really want. I think the dude is a bit like Lavell in that the fulfillment he can find at BYU with its unique mingling of sports and religion is more satisfying than the biggest of prizes. Bronco will take those MWC championships, a top 15 ranking at BYU and know that he is making a program the best it can be on the field while allowing him to be more involved spiritually in people's lives than he could as a HC elsewhere.

I don't think outside suitors will get to much traction this year, but it will in years to come. The dude is very good at what he does and BYU has advantages that if properly leveraged and coupled with some fortuitous luck will eventually place BYU and Bronco into the national spotlight. Further, it is likely to happen when Bronco has a history of consistent success instead of a meteoric instantaneous rise. Bronco will be coveted.

I think whether or not Bronco leaves will boil down to whether or not Bronco believes he is the horse dragging the cart or just one of many pushing it. If the administration seeks to ensure that he can continue to make BYU as good as it can be, within the constraints imposed by its religious affiliation, I think Bronco stays. He will be paid competitively as Holmoe is lining up the boosters with his coach's retention fund. I think Bronco prefers Utah County as it is close to family and roots. I think he and his wife really appreciate BYU as an institution and the spiritual opportunities being affiliated with BYU in such a prominent position affords. I think it fits him. He has found a niche and knows how to stroke the mullahs who then leave him alone to operate how he thinks he needs to operate. As Lavell proved and as Bronco is proving, if the unique strengths of BYU are properly leveraged BYU can win, win a lot and be very successful. Yet, if BYU has some down years where they don't reach their potential the admin and fans don't have the short memory of many fanbases. Perhaps short memory is not as important as the fact that much of the admin and fanbase values the good off the field Bronco is doing. It will buy him clout. They won't endure it longterm, but I don't think the pressure to perform is similar to BCS programs who imagine themselves bigtime. In other words, BYU is a comfortable situation. He can enjoy great success in a comfortable environment. However, when the day comes that the admin becomes a stumbling block to him is the day that I think he starts looking elsewhere.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:11 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
It's only getting traction here in Utah.

Bronco's name isn't mentioned in any of the 3 Los Angeles Papers today.

It's nothing.
You're in denial, Rocky. Face it man, Bronco's gone.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:30 PM   #5
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post

Reasons to stay

1. $1M is enough
4. Church relationship

Reasons to leave

1. $

I don't think I could have said it better myself. I don't know BM and I don't know if he wants to go to another job, but those who say there is no reason to leave are delusional.

Of course suggest on cougarboard that BM could leave and that no one really knows what he will do, and you will get dozens of posts about how BM is a man of his word and since he says he is never leaving he will never leave.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:33 PM   #6
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I think there are reasons to leave, just like any position, but for now I think Bronco is content.

Having said that if he decided to take the UCLA job, or if he were to entertain other positions I would never begrudge someone for investigating and seeing if they can improve their position.

It's the American Way.