cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2007, 04:02 AM   #11
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I know little of the Coaches Circle - I appreciate that info.

It would be interesting to see what would happen should BYU have a season like the U did in '04. I'd think that some big names would really take a hard look and possibly make a go at stealing Mendenhall away.

As for coming up with extra money, it would be interesting to see what the BOT would do. I often wonder how important athletics really in the overall mission of BYU - would the BOT say go ahead and up the ante, or would they advise that the money could be better spent by donating it to the perpetual education fund.

Bottom line, Mendenhall is a great coach and he seems to have turned it around down in Provo.
Coaches Circle is a private fund started by 2 extremely wealthy donors. One guy started it and the second guy ponied up quite a bit...almost a complete match. It was started with the sole purpose of paying to hire the best coach available.

Holmoe says that it isnt limited to football and hoops, but practicality tells me that BYU isnt likely going to go to the vaults to bring in an expensive diving coach.

Mostly, it is Legacy CC members who donate to it annually. My FIL is a member, as are a few CBers that I know of. I am not.

Usually, annual contribution is about $25K, although this number can vary, obviously.

My impression is that it was set up with the realization that to be competitive, BYU has to pay better cash. But the BOT cannot approve lavish spending outright since it is not in line with the mission of the school. Holmoe said clearly that BYU would never pay Nick Saban money to a coach (allowing for adjustments in inflation over time, of course). So Coaches Circle is a way to keep BYU in the game without going to the Church funds. Holmoe did indicate that even with the funding, we still arent paying Saban cash, but at least Bronco gets a respectable 900K or so a year, plus other perks and benis.

In all honesty, I would VERY surprised if Coaches Circle was not, at least in part, a response to watching Urban fly away to the SEC on a private jet after the Fiesta Bowl. Our coach was not sought after, but Urban proved at least 2 points:

1. To the BCS, he showed that mid-majors can compete
2. To the mid-majors, he showed that the BCS still is the preferred landing spot

Coaches Circle was long overdue. I am glad BYU made its donors put up or shut up.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:10 AM   #12
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Coaches Circle is a private fund started by 2 extremely wealthy donors. One guy started it and the second guy ponied up quite a bit...almost a complete match. It was started with the sole purpose of paying to hire the best coach available.

Holmoe says that it isnt limited to football and hoops, but practicality tells me that BYU isnt likely going to go to the vaults to bring in an expensive diving coach.

Mostly, it is Legacy CC members who donate to it annually. My FIL is a member, as are a few CBers that I know of. I am not.

Usually, annual contribution is about $25K, although this number can vary, obviously.

My impression is that it was set up with the realization that to be competitive, BYU has to pay better cash. But the BOT cannot approve lavish spending outright since it is not in line with the mission of the school. Holmoe said clearly that BYU would never pay Nick Saban money to a coach (allowing for adjustments in inflation over time, of course). So Coaches Circle is a way to keep BYU in the game without going to the Church funds. Holmoe did indicate that even with the funding, we still arent paying Saban cash, but at least Bronco gets a respectable 900K or so a year, plus other perks and benis.

In all honesty, I would VERY surprised if Coaches Circle was not, at least in part, a response to watching Urban fly away to the SEC on a private jet after the Fiesta Bowl. Our coach was not sought after, but Urban proved at least 2 points:

1. To the BCS, he showed that mid-majors can compete
2. To the mid-majors, he showed that the BCS still is the preferred landing spot

Coaches Circle was long overdue. I am glad BYU made its donors put up or shut up.
It sounds like the Coaches Circle are more of a behind-the-scenes version of Jon Hunstman and Spence Eccles. One of the main reasons Majerus stayed at Utah for as long as he did was that Huntsman's jet was always available.

It really is a shame that money plays so big of a role in collegiate athletics. And the fact that the athletes are really nothing more than indentured servants is another thing entirely and a discussion for another time. But I digress, (as usual).

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:19 AM   #13
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
It sounds like the Coaches Circle are more of a behind-the-scenes version of Jon Hunstman and Spence Eccles. One of the main reasons Majerus stayed at Utah for as long as he did was that Huntsman's jet was always available.

It really is a shame that money plays so big of a role in collegiate athletics. And the fact that the athletes are really nothing more than indentured servants is another thing entirely and a discussion for another time. But I digress, (as usual).
Basically, you are 100% correct. The 2 BYU Coaches Circle honks are real estate/home builder barons, but same principle as Hunstman/Eccles.

To your other point, one of the most ironic commentaries on collegiate sports is a football player who walks around in the weight room wearing a "Property of USC Athletics" t shirt....or whatever the school may be.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 12-04-2007, 04:31 AM   #14
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Basically, you are 100% correct. The 2 BYU Coaches Circle honks are real estate/home builder barons, but same principle as Hunstman/Eccles.

To your other point, one of the most ironic commentaries on collegiate sports is a football player who walks around in the weight room wearing a "Property of USC Athletics" t shirt....or whatever the school may be.
I've seen those "Property of (school name here) athletics" shirts and it rubs me the wrong way. They didn't have them when I was in school and I am glad they didn't. The NCAA wouldn't even let us keep our ball caps.

I'd like to see Mendenhall stay for a long time and would love to see Whittingham get all the wrinkles ironed out so the U and Y can be very competitive for many years. That would be a lot of fun.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:01 AM   #15
CJF

CJF is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Ira Fulton must be one. Who is the other?
CJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:48 PM   #16
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF View Post
Ira Fulton must be one. Who is the other?
Very good, CJF. You're halfway there.

(whooaa...living on a prayer....)