cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2006, 02:55 PM   #1
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Polygamy Addressed on Boston Legal

I don't know how many Boston Legal fans we have amongst us, but I try to watch the show every week. I was particularly struck by this week's episode because it also dealt with the subject of Polygamy.

The scenario was this: The husband was married to two women, one of them was the stay at home mom and the other one was a career woman.

Both of the women testified in the trial and noted that they didn't have a problem sharing their husband and sharing the responsibilities...the stay at home mom in particular said, "If I've had a long day and I don't want to deal with him, I just send him over to her house and enjoy my peace and quiet."

The argument that Julie Bowen...Bower...something like that (who happens to be quite attractive by the way) made was that in today's world, polygamy is a very practical practice. If a women wants to continue her career and be a mom at the same time, a polygamist marriage is the perfect scenario for her. In addition, back when polygamy was a problem, women only had one role in a marriage. These days, roles are defined differently and if a woman chooses to enter into that kind of arrangement, she has more power then the women did back in the day.

I watch Big Love as well and to be honest, it was nice to see Polygamy dealt with in a completely different light. It was noted throughout that religion didn't factor in at all, but more the practicality of that type of arrangement.

Anyway, I was just curious to know if anyone else had seen it and had any thoughts on the different approach the show took.
--