cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 01:10 AM   #61
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radawg View Post
My patriarchal blessing is quite generic. I think a cheap fortune teller familiar with all the typical mormon phrases could have done the same. I remember being disappointed. I had the impression that it would be somewhat specific/helpful in my life. I still have it and read it on occasion. It has yet to impact me in any way.

Regarding stories of patriarchal blessings (I'm sure we've all heard a billion of these kinds of PB promises, but this one is only third hand...it may be truthy...ish): my grandma had a close friend die a few years ago and seemed really upset afterwards. She later confided in me that she wasn't that upset about his death--he was old and very sick anyway. She was upset because this guy's patriarchal blessing said that he would see Christ's second coming. It was interesting to see how this disillusioned her.

I would love to hear more about that book on PBs, especially if it looked at various promises made. I'm also curious to know why it wasn't published.
I'm pretty sure we had the same patriarch. (RaDawg and I grew up in the same ward.) My PB sucked too.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:03 AM   #62
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Our stake patriarch recently retired. He lives in our ward. He is WWII vet. He was a bomber pilot stationed in Northern Africa, doing runs in Italy, Romania, etc. He has some unbelievable stories to tell. He has shrapnel pulled out of the sole of his boot. They were shot up once and he had to fly out of Italy with about 100 ft of altitude. He said they could look in the faces of the people shooting them as they flew by. They had to do an emergency landing on a British-controlled island, forcing some British fighter pilots to ditch into the sea (they survived). He and his wife now are in very poor health but they live alone and insist on being independent. He is in his late 80's and is legally blind. But he is amazingly proficient with a computer (uses a magnifying screen cover). And when they call on him to read a scripture in Sunday School or HPG, he reads the scripture flawlessly. Then you look over and realize that his scriptures are closed. He is without question one of the most remarkable people I have ever met. And a man that everyone loves and respects. Say what you will about patriarchal blessings, but one from this good brother is a treasure.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:17 AM   #63
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
I'm pretty sure we had the same patriarch. (RaDawg and I grew up in the same ward.) My PB sucked too.
you lack faith, I think.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:21 AM   #64
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
Who else when they saw soonercoug name as responded thought?

"what crazy story does he have for this one?"

I'm disappointed... I was thinking that yours told you were going to bring people back from the dead or something like that
Old 08-23-2007, 03:16 AM   #65
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine also has several things that are rather specific that will happen -- both positive and negative. None of them have happened yet, but hopefully I'll be around a while to see them.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:35 AM   #66
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine has a comment about there being a time I will be doing something, and that I ought to pursue something else.

So I find myself second-guessing myself. Is this the thing/work I shouldn't be doing?

But it's a useful exercise. We should always be asking ourselves that question.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:37 AM   #67
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine says I am blessed with the ability to recognize the truth. What kind of weird irony is there in that?
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:11 AM   #68
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Mine has a comment about there being a time I will be doing something, and that I ought to pursue something else.

So I find myself second-guessing myself. Is this the thing/work I shouldn't be doing?
Maybe it was referring to cougarboard and cougarguard.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:33 AM   #69
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Mine is long gone unless my mother has it somewhere, and I have not read it in some 30 years. All I remember is it said that raising my kids would be the most momentous thing I did in life and that's why I was put here. Back at age 18 I was disappointed in that. But now I think that's a very good thing for it to have said.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:35 AM   #70
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
Mine says I am blessed with the ability to recognize the truth. What kind of weird irony is there in that?
Wierd irony considering the bearer of the information but not in the statement's prophetic aspect.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote