cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 09:09 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The gift of discernment

We are taught to seek spiritual gifts.

I hate to take away from the usual arguing about the usual issues, but I thought I would bring this up.

What is your understanding of this gift? What are its practical applications?

Although we may seek this gift, is this something you think of as being somewhat innate (i.e. some people have it, some don't and won't ever do it well, no matter the effort).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:00 PM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I hate to take away from the usual arguing about the usual issues, but I thought I would bring this up.
LOL

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:56 PM   #3
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you talking about gaydar?
Old 08-22-2007, 05:33 AM   #4
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Although we may seek this gift, is this something you think of as being somewhat innate (i.e. some people have it, some don't and won't ever do it well, no matter the effort).

Doesn't that go for most anything we "don't have"? "That dude's a jerk - prayer won't help him!"

The above is my "spiritual response" - besides that, some people really need to do a lot of praying because there are a lot of clueless people out there.

- Bronco, when asked how to describe PH
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:44 AM   #5
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Mike, I'm afraid this post isn't going to make it on the best seller list.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:12 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Mike, I'm afraid this post isn't going to make it on the best seller list.
Yes. The goblins and orks have taken over the castle.

My own take is that some people are naturally more sensitive to those things. For example, there are those that have gone through their lives and have very little to fall on in terms of spiritual experiences, or sensing that God has played a role in their lives, despite honest effort. There is a world that is closed off to them, for whatever reason.

There is the concept of believing blood. That is some will hear the message and be touched, whereas others won't, not because of their unrighteousness, but for mysterious reasons we don't understand.

I think to some degree it is foreordained for some to believe, and also foreordained for others to not believe. This goes against the usual gospel line, I know. However I think the vast majority of people fall in the middle, and through personal choice and desire, could experience things sufficient to engender faith.

The ability to believe is a gift. It's not a choice. It's a gift. Faith is a gift of the spirit. It does take a kernel of faith or hope to seek the gift of faith, that much is clear.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:30 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Belief is difficult for me. I don't really have a believing heart, so I must work hard to develop faith. When I survey the spiritual gifts identified, I really don't find myself with many. I haven't given up, but realize, nobody will mistake me for a great man of faith, because of the internal struggles to believe what others take for granted.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:31 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Belief is difficult for me. I don't really have a believing heart, so I must work hard to develop faith. When I survey the spiritual gifts identified, I really don't find myself with many. I haven't given up, but realize, nobody will mistake me for a great man of faith, because of the internal struggles to believe what others take for granted.
I don't think that "ease in believing" is a good definition for the gift of faith.

I think of it more as the person that, when the time comes, stays at the Alamo when others walk away.