cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 05:12 AM   #11
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Re: innovation, E. Ballard, October 2006 conference:

Quote:
Second, be innovative. As we work to magnify our callings, we should seek the inspiration of the Spirit to solve problems in ways that will best help the people we serve. We have handbooks of instruction, and their guidelines should be followed. But within that framework are substantial opportunities to think, to be creative, and to make use of individual talents. The instruction to magnify our callings is not a command to embellish and complicate them. To innovate does not necessarily mean to expand; very often it means to simplify.

Being innovative also means that we do not have to be told everything we should do. The Lord said, "It is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant" (D&C 58:26). We trust you, brothers and sisters, to use inspiration. We trust that you will do so within the framework of Church policies and principles. We trust that you will be wise in counseling together to help build faith and testimony in the lives of those whom you serve.
http://lds.org/conference/talk/displ...-646-7,00.html

Re: "when was the last time Hinckley...", E. Holland, October 2006 conference:

Quote:
As the least of those who have been sustained by you to witness the guidance of this Church firsthand, I say with all the fervor of my soul that never in my personal or professional life have I ever associated with any group who are so in touch, who know so profoundly the issues facing us, who look so deeply into the old, stay so open to the new, and weigh so carefully, thoughtfully, and prayerfully everything in between. I testify that the grasp this body of men and women have of moral and societal issues exceeds that of any think tank or brain trust of comparable endeavor of which I know anywhere on the earth. I bear personal witness of how thoroughly good they are, of how hard they work, and how humbly they live. It is no trivial matter for this Church to declare to the world prophecy, seership, and revelation, but we do declare it. It is true light shining in a dark world, and it shines from these proceedings.
http://lds.org/conference/talk/displ...646-38,00.html

Both talks from the same conference. Both less than a year ago.

I think there's plenty of room for innovation and inspiration in the church.

Last edited by Tex; 08-20-2007 at 05:14 AM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:40 AM   #12
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
If they reinstituted the Latin mass in some Seattle ward maybe I'd go to church sometime.
I knew you were a closet imperialist
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:50 AM   #13
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
If they reinstituted the Latin mass in some Seattle ward maybe I'd go to church sometime.
I'd drink to that.