cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 02:34 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Farrah's musical number this week

She was the accompaniest of the 2nd movement of the Barber violin concerto. Last night I asked what the spiritual message or motivation of the piece was, and she said, "shut up, I'm trying to figure one out."

It was well done. The violinist is a sophomore in college now (visiting for the weekend I presume), and is quite talent (violin major).

I recorded it with the video function of my cell phone, but the quality is atrocious and I can't blaspheme the music by sharing it in that state.

Farrah was a little put out, because she was only asked yesterday so had less than one day to practice.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:03 AM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
She was the accompaniest of the 2nd movement of the Barber violin concerto. Last night I asked what the spiritual message or motivation of the piece was, and she said, "shut up, I'm trying to figure one out."

It was well done. The violinist is a sophomore in college now (visiting for the weekend I presume), and is quite talent (violin major).

I recorded it with the video function of my cell phone, but the quality is atrocious and I can't blaspheme the music by sharing it in that state.

Farrah was a little put out, because she was only asked yesterday so had less than one day to practice.
Good job, Farrah. Very impressive.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:39 PM   #3
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

Not true, I was happy to do it. I like accompanying. I was glad we were able to pull it together in a 20 minute rehearsal.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:54 PM   #4
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
Not true, I was happy to do it. I like accompanying. I was glad we were able to pull it together in a 20 minute rehearsal.
I am very impressed that you put together a piece of this complexity on such short notice. You are obviously a very accomplished musician - and certainly a much better pianist than me. I trust those on this board appreciate the talent required to essentially sight read a piece of this difficulty.

It also sounds as if you are training your Bishop very well on the finer points of classical music. Does he have an appreciation for your talents?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:55 PM   #5
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
It also sounds as if you are training your Bishop very well on the finer points of classical music.
When the bishop extended the calling, he mentioned that he would also like me to educate the congregation about the music being performed. So before we played, I spoke a few words about Barber and his style, shared a First Presidency statement about the importance of music, and then read a scripture. The piece is beautiful (and not really that hard) but has a few unconventional harmonies in it that I thought might jar some people a little. I think the little thought I gave before helped pave the way for the people listening to it to have a good experience.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:04 PM   #6
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
When the bishop extended the calling, he mentioned that he would also like me to educate the congregation about the music being performed. So before we played, I spoke a few words about Barber and his style, shared a First Presidency statement about the importance of music, and then read a scripture. The piece is beautiful (and not really that hard) but has a few unconventional harmonies in it that I thought might jar some people a little. I think the little thought I gave before helped pave the way for the people listening to it to have a good experience.
Nice touch! Think of the educational benefits if this became a common practice - (sacrament meeting as a forum for Music Appreciation 101). Seriously, introductions like yours could generate the spark for future musicians, and at a minimum they set the stage for greater spirituality.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote