cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 05:31 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pet peeve of mine re: sacrament

We don't have enough YM to bless/prepare/pass. So there are always members of the EQ and HP who pass, and often bless as well.

So one of the YM struggles to get enough older priesthood to help out so that we are fully staffed when the meeting starts.

Ten minutes after the start of the meeting, YM walk to the front, and then stand at the row until one of the older men gets up and walks back to his seat, so the YM takes his spot. Same on the stand with blessing.

I hate this. They are habitually late.

I think it is tacky, distracting, and disrespectful.

I understand that some don't arrive because of family. But the YM presidency has standing offer to pick up boys early.

Yet we tolerate this (not my decision).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:46 PM   #2
The Borg

The Borg is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's one:

The young men stand in some sort of freakish attention with their left arm bent at a 90° angle behind their back. This angle can only be duplicated if one was to jump off a 4 story building...or, to of course pass the sacrament.

What's with the arm behind the back formation?
Old 08-09-2007, 05:47 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Borg View Post
Here's one:

The young men stand in some sort of freakish attention with their left arm bent at a 90° angle behind their back. This angle can only be duplicated if one was to jump off a 4 story building...or, to of course pass the sacrament.

What's with the arm behind the back formation?
We don't do that one.

Btw, I noticed my bishop was wearing a blue shirt with his suit last Sunday.

To me that signals the end of the white shirt rule.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:49 PM   #4
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
We don't have enough YM to bless/prepare/pass. So there are always members of the EQ and HP who pass, and often bless as well.

So one of the YM struggles to get enough older priesthood to help out so that we are fully staffed when the meeting starts.

Ten minutes after the start of the meeting, YM walk to the front, and then stand at the row until one of the older men gets up and walks back to his seat, so the YM takes his spot. Same on the stand with blessing.

I hate this. They are habitually late.

I think it is tacky, distracting, and disrespectful.

I understand that some don't arrive because of family. But the YM presidency has standing offer to pick up boys early.

Yet we tolerate this (not my decision).
I just got released from YM last week, but what I would do is to stand by the chapel door and ask older men to help out as they came in. We have 3 to 5 priesthood holding YM (we have several others that don't hold the priesthood yet [juvenile probation, etc]), but none of them are priests.

Usually that resulted in having everyone in place at the start of sacrament.

Once 6 people are in place to pass, the YM are instructed not to "tap out" one of the older men already in place; though this usually isn't a problem.

Last edited by Indy Coug; 08-09-2007 at 05:51 PM.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:50 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I just got released from YM last week, but what I would do is to stand by the chapel door and ask older men to help out as they came in. We have 3 to 5 priesthood holding YM (we have several others that don't hold the priesthood yet [juvenile probation, etc]), but none of them are priests.

Usually that resulted in having everyone in place at the start of sacrament.
I see it as the YM's duty to find people. Give him some responsibility. Of course I give suggestions on who to ask.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:52 PM   #6
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I see it as the YM's duty to find people. Give him some responsibility. Of course I give suggestions on who to ask.
Maybe so, but the leadership is very adamant about having the sacrament and people in place on time, so I took this on to keep them happy.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote