cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 03:56 AM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Stairway to Heaven

One of the elders in my mission who was a friend of mine played the organ terrifically. He struck a deal with the bishop in Quito and a bunch of us went over to the cathedral during ZL conference, and he played Stairway to Heaven and a number of other pieces for us. It sounded awesome in the cathedral. He told us that as a teenager he once played Stairway to Heaven on the organ in stake conference. This was back in the 1970's and few people over 25 knew it was a famous rock and roll tune. With the title most adults thought it was a religious hymn. He said a lot of older folks came up to him after very touched and complimented him. He's really religious and always has been. He's from Vegas and I understand he's now very rich though I've lost touch with him. Archea knows him but I don't want to say his name. I just say this to establish it's a true story.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:58 AM   #2
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Reminds me of an episode of the Simpsons when Bart sneaks the sheet music to Ina Goda Davita onto the organ. The little old lady organist passes out from fatigue playing it.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:05 AM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

He teaches organ to locals in the Vegas area, and is very humble. Some day when I speak to him, I'll inquire as to that story.

I have always loved that song, especially some of the longer renditions.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:13 AM   #4
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

When I was younger I had a girlfriend whose older brother was going on a mission. Her younger brother was inactive, had long hair, played in a rock band, but was very gifted musically. The father and mission-bound brother convinced the younger brother to join them in a musical selection, and to get him involved they asked him if he would announce the selection. So this kid approaches the microphone in his bell-bottom corderoys and half-unbuttoned silk, rocker shirt and announces, in his best stoner voice, "Yeah, so the tune we're going to do for you now is 'I Need Thee Every Hour'." It was one of the funniest things I have ever seen in a sacrament meeting.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:45 AM   #5
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

My brother plays the guitar and is quite the comedian. He can do a country version of Stairway to Heaven that is hilarious.