cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 05:18 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default styles of worship

I find it interesting to see how other groups worship.

You often see very enthusiastic church goers that have the gospel choirs. Almost like they are all rejoicing.

Catholics, esp. Latin mass, has a sort of grand reverence to it, with an edge of mystery.

I went to an episcopalian christmas eve mass, and it was the most informal thing I have been to. The minister could have been in jeans, the casual informal way he approached it.

I think Mormons take the business meeting approach. We make announcements, we say who is doing what job, we rotate a few hymns, we don't clap, and the only time communal "rejoicing" occurs is when someone insists that the entire congregation say "aloha."

My former Bishop was pretty unhappy with how members would talk to each other before sacrament mtg. started. he instructed that it should be a time of reverence, that members should sit quietly before the meeting. I loved him (and still do), but I didn't agree with him. i think that is the kind of mtg. that meant that most to him, but it doesn't mean the most to me.

Why not more smiles? Why not more rejoicing? Why is it the way it is?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:32 PM   #2
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

You often see very enthusiastic church goers that have the gospel choirs. Almost like they are all rejoicing.

Catholics, esp. Latin mass, has a sort of grand reverence to it, with an edge of mystery.

I went to an episcopalian christmas eve mass, and it was the most informal thing I have been to. The minister could have been in jeans, the casual informal way he approached it.

I think Mormons take the business meeting approach. We make announcements, we say who is doing what job, we rotate a few hymns, we don't clap, and the only time communal "rejoicing" occurs is when someone insists that the entire congregation say "aloha."

My former Bishop was pretty unhappy with how members would talk to each other before sacrament mtg. started. he instructed that it should be a time of reverence, that members should sit quietly before the meeting. I loved him (and still do), but I didn't agree with him. i think that is the kind of mtg. that meant that most to him, but it doesn't mean the most to me.

Agree on all points except one. During the prelude music, congregations should be respectful of the fact that the intent is to create an atmosphere of reverence just prior to the start of the meeting. It is interesting as an organist to try to hear the organ over all the conversations. Perhaps the most effective way to "establish the mood" is to have the choir sing the prelude music.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:47 PM   #3
dallas dan

dallas dan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

I completely agree. Sometimes in the church it seems like it is wrong to smile. There seems to be this approach of "quiet dignity" among the members. I understand the approach, and applaud it to some extent. Personally I feel the spirit strong, when I am happy. For the most part, I am not happy in sacrament meeting because it is such a solemn experience. I have this discussion with my wife on a regular basis. I love the gospel, but I have such a problems with Mormons. We are so boring, and afraid to have a little personality. Maybe I am not converted enough, but church in general wears on me because I am not that happy when I am there. I go because I know I am supposed to. I think if church was less business meeting like, I would enjoy my time more. For the most part, I am an outgoing person. When I am at church I feel a lot more introverted.
dallas dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:48 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas dan View Post
I completely agree. Sometimes in the church it seems like it is wrong to smile. There seems to be this approach of "quiet dignity" among the members. I understand the approach, and applaud it to some extent. Personally I feel the spirit strong, when I am happy. For the most part, I am not happy in sacrament meeting because it is such a solemn experience. I have this discussion with my wife on a regular basis. I love the gospel, but I have such a problems with Mormons. We are so boring, and afraid to have a little personality. Maybe I am not converted enough, but church in general wears on me because I am not that happy when I am there. I go because I know I am supposed to. I think if church was less business meeting like, I would enjoy my time more. For the most part, I am an outgoing person. When I am at church I feel a lot more introverted.
you should be in the YM. that tends to liven things up a bit, in my experience.

who knows what the Lord has in store for you...
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:20 PM   #5
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that some of us have come to equate reverence with silence. Sometimes the two go together, other time's not. Sometimes it's a "silent night" occasion. Other times it's a "music ringing through the grove" occasion.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote