cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Type of Mormon Family
Alternate Voice Family, Immediate, and Normal Extended 3 15.79%
Mainstream Family, Immediate and Extended 12 63.16%
Strict Orthodox, along lines of JFS, and McConkie, for Immediate and Extended 2 10.53%
Disaffected but historical immediate, mainstream or orthodox extended 0 0%
No Mormon immediate or extended, but sympathetic 2 10.53%
Alternate Voice immediate, but normal extended 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2007, 11:44 PM   #11
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

My dad's pretty strict orthodox, but I'd say the rest of my family is pretty mainstream, leaning toward orthodox. We have several mission presidents, stake presidents and bishops in our extended family.

I remember once when a late BYU basketball game at the Marriott Center went past midnight on a Saturday night, my dad told me he was disappointed they didn't stop the game.

However, he also will watch sports on TV on Sunday (at least in recent years), so I think he's mellowed.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:44 PM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
Should have hired a programmer to do it for you.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
If you wish to do it for free, you're hired.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:47 PM   #13
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I grew up in a traditional Big Utah Family. Although, My parents didn't move back to Utah until I was 6 years old. I'm #7 of 8 children and my Dad pursued his Masters and Doctorate degrees from the University of Pittsburgh, so they lived there for several years and Cincinnati, Ohio after that. I was born in Cincy.

Most everyone in my family save one of my sisters and her husband are active in the church.

My Dad's side comes from Sweden, while my mom's come froms England. My parents are pretty down the line strict LDS folks.

3 of my brothers have either been the Bishop or served in Bishoprics. That is one calling I hope to avoid this entire lifetime.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:17 AM   #14
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

None of the above.

My old man was hard core inactive and even anti until a couple of years ago and suddenly returned to Church (after getting over a few WOW problems he had carried for, oh, about 50 years). He was rewarded by being made Sunday School president, which makes him feel anxious because he has yet to figure out what he is supposed to DO. His parents died from the drink and so did their parents so you get the idea.

My mom is a member but her activity waxes and wanes. Fortunately mostly waxes in recent years (yes SU, I said fortunately). Her folks were lifelong inactives. Their folks were immigrants to SLC for the church and started off active but apparently fell away in mid-life for some reason. I have no siblings.

My wife comes from a LARGE family which operates with a "large tent." They are very traditional LDS and her 4 siblings and spouses are all very active and engaged and all but my wife and I live in Utah. Her extended family is a mixed bag, ranging from very mullah-ish active to completely inactive and anti. Un-like SU's experience, however, the family treats all well and all are invited (and show up) for their regular reunions and a good time is had by everyone.