cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 03:38 PM   #11
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I'm eating a ding dong as I read this thread.

I am overweight--not morbidly, but I am. 5'10, 205.

I also run a lot. I have done 4 half marathons this year so far (Eden, SLC, Timp, Canyon2Canyon) and have signed up for 4 more this summer. I am running the St. George marathon this year (it will be my second marathon).

If I lost 30-40lbs I would fly like the wind. I would like to fly like the wind. I just don't want to badly enough to give up cheese fries, pastries and butter.

Yet anyway. I am working up to it. Maybe I'll read Fast Food Nation. Any other books that will scare me straight?

The best article on nutrition I have read in a long time is: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/28/ma...pagewanted=all

Great article and well worth the read.
I sincerely hope your joints don't wear out at that rate.
Maybe you can find some knee replacement surgery videos to scare you straight.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:38 PM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Adam, at least you're doing part of what you should.

Diet combined with Exercise is the best prescription for health, but if you can't eat entirely well, exercise will get you half way.

Are you riding the ULCER this year?

We have a couple of CougarGuard teams.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:09 PM   #13
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

I'm not ready for more rules within the church so maybe they should leave this alone but it doesn't project a very good image to non-members if we are all just big piles of goo. I'm a little bit of a weight bigot so I may judge to harshly but I think it matters with a lot of people.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:18 PM   #14
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
I'm not ready for more rules within the church so maybe they should leave this alone but it doesn't project a very good image to non-members if we are all just big piles of goo. I'm a little bit of a weight bigot so I may judge to harshly but I think it matters with a lot of people.
How about a rule that says we should not worry about our image to non-members?

I lose patience with this kind of stuff. (Ironic that I lose patience with others losing patience with others) And I'm not picking on anyone. I do the same thing.

We all have weaknesses. The 350 lb bishop wears his weakness in a public way. SoonerCoug's weakness is very private yet he chooses to make it public--just kidding SC.

The point is if we are aware of our own sins and weaknesses the way God wants us to, we ought to lighten up on others.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:23 PM   #15
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
How about a rule that says we should not worry about our image to non-members?

I lose patience with this kind of stuff. (Ironic that I lose patience with others losing patience with others) And I'm not picking on anyone. I do the same thing.

We all have weaknesses. The 350 lb bishop wears his weakness in a public way. SoonerCoug's weakness is very private yet he chooses to make it public--just kidding SC.

The point is if we are aware of our own sins and weaknesses the way God wants us to, we ought to lighten up on others.
I too am a weight bigot, not to an extreme, unless somebody is extremely obese. I am cognizant of this, but have been unable to completely overcome my bigotry to morbidly obese persons.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:43 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

why should I lighten up about fat people when I'm being told what clothes to wear and how to cut my hair, and when and how often to shave?

as far as I can tell, being fat is actually a potential sin (WoW). The color of your shirt is not.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote