cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 04:09 PM   #1
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fusnike here you go, Chuck vs Wanderlei

http://ufcjunkie.com/

UFCjunkie.com Source: Verbal Agreement Reached for Chuck Liddell vs. Wanderlei Silva UFC 76 Fight

Posted by UFC Junkie on July 11, 2007 at 11:27 am ET
Former UFC light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell (20-4 MMA, 14-3 UFC) and former longtime PRIDE Fighting Championships middleweight champion Wanderlei Silva (31-7-1 MMA, 1-2 UFC) have verbally agreed to a fight that will take place at UFC 76 in September. That’s according to a source close to the Chute Box team who recently spoke to UFCjunkie.com (www.ufcjunkie.com).
According to the source, the two fighters have agreed on “numbers” and a verbal agreement has been reached. Additionally, the fight likely will be signed once the Brazilian Silva returns to the U.S., the source said.
UFC 76 takes place in Anaheim, Calif., on Sept. 22.The Silva-Liddell fight is perhaps the most-hyped MMA event never to have happened. The fight has long been rumored, and during a UFC 61 event last year, UFC president Dana White even announced that fight would finally take place. However, he later blamed PRIDE officials for keeping it from happening. (PRIDE has since been purchased by Frank and Lorenzo Fertitta, primary owners of the UFC.)
Rumors recently popped up that stated UFC 76 was the most likely date for the fight. However, just last month, White told reporters on a media conference call that there was no truth to the reports and that Liddell probably wouldn’t return to the Octagon until November.
However, barring any injuries or scheduling conlicts, Sept. 22 is the target date, our source said.
Liddell, who had held the UFC’s light heavyweight title since April 2005, suffered a first-round technical knockout to Quinton Jackson at UFC 71. The May 26 loss was his first defeat in eight fights.
Silva, a Brazilian Jiu-Jistu black belt and one of PRIDE’s most successful fighters, is coming off brutal back-to-back losses to Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic and Dan Henderson. Despite the losses, he remains one of the top-ranked 205-pound fighters anywhere in the world.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:10 PM   #2
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been following the rumors both on Wand's website, ufcjunkie, and a couple of other MMA rumor fights. I am stoked for the fight, although I wished the fight took place two years ago when both fighters were at the top of their game.

Wand's been in some extreme battles over the past couple years and is not the same fighter that he was in Japan. I look to a Liddell win which will give fodder for the UFC lackey's to claim that PRIDE is inferior.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:21 PM   #3
cougjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
I've been following the rumors both on Wand's website, ufcjunkie, and a couple of other MMA rumor fights. I am stoked for the fight, although I wished the fight took place two years ago when both fighters were at the top of their game.

Wand's been in some extreme battles over the past couple years and is not the same fighter that he was in Japan. I look to a Liddell win which will give fodder for the UFC lackey's to claim that PRIDE is inferior.
finally something we can agree on. wanderlei is not the same fighter and this fight has lost some of its luster. however it will still be a good fight. If chuck loses it will give pride fans more bragging rights. chuck was the best fighter in ufc and if he loses back to back fights to guys that are good but not elite in pride then that looks bad
Old 07-11-2007, 06:50 PM   #4
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
finally something we can agree on. wanderlei is not the same fighter and this fight has lost some of its luster. however it will still be a good fight. If chuck loses it will give pride fans more bragging rights. chuck was the best fighter in ufc and if he loses back to back fights to guys that are good but not elite in pride then that looks bad
I agree with both of you guys. This fight 2 years ago would have been insane. Regardless it's still huge. Wand's last two losses were bad. He got obliterated in the rematch with CroCop. I mean, he got destroyed and that final kick that split Wand's head open was sick. Their fist fight was epic. The kick from CroCop that left a footprint on Silva's ribs was brutal. Silva's fight against Hendo was bad too. He was getting it taken to him before finally getting knocked out. It'll be interesting to see how both these fighters bounce back. But I think Chuck wins this one.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:59 PM   #5
cougjunkie

dana whites espn interview:

http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/...t&lid=tab2pos1

one thing i love about Dana he is completely honest.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:47 AM   #6
fusnik11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
dana whites espn interview:

http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/...t&lid=tab2pos1

one thing i love about Dana he is completely honest.
If Dana White isn't careful he'll ruin MMA.

Zuffa underpays the fighters, White is constantly in contract disputes with fighters, they make some real bad fights, and they show no method to their madness of weight class rankings.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:52 AM   #7
fusnik11

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
I agree with both of you guys. This fight 2 years ago would have been insane. Regardless it's still huge. Wand's last two losses were bad. He got obliterated in the rematch with CroCop. I mean, he got destroyed and that final kick that split Wand's head open was sick. Their fist fight was epic. The kick from CroCop that left a footprint on Silva's ribs was brutal. Silva's fight against Hendo was bad too. He was getting it taken to him before finally getting knocked out. It'll be interesting to see how both these fighters bounce back. But I think Chuck wins this one.
Silva was sick for the Hendo fight, and was giving up over 30 pounds to Cro Cop.

I really hope UFC merger with PRIDE doesn't ruin MMA and that it doesn't jump the shark like WWE.